Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I create a track for each color of my CCR (R, G, B)

ace_master

I'm just now learning all about sequencing the only CCR I managed to get this year... I have no idea what I'm doing as far as macros, and have already wasted half a night fiddling with it. I've decided that I would be best to separate my CCR into a separate track for each Red, Green, and Blue so I can at least get some leaping arches in my shows this year.

How do I create a track for each color of the CCR?

I'm not entirely sure you can do that. The only way I can think of would be to try expanding the RGB channels and then try moving one at a time to a new (or different) track. I know that CCD devices won't let you create groups, so this might not work either.

You might have to create a 50-channel track for each color and then copy what you sequence there back into the CCR. But that seems like a lot of bother. Might be quicker to just figure out how to work with the ccr in it's native format, or set it up as RRR, GGG, BBB instead of RGB.

It will be pretty manual, but it can be done:

First, copy the CCR to a new track. In that track:

Degroup the CCR.

Degroup the RGB channels.

Convert the macro channels to a group.

Delete that macro channel group.

Drag and drop the channels into RRR... GGG... BBB... order.

Convert the G channels to a group.

Move that group to a new track. Degroup it if desired.

Convert the B channels to a group.

Move that group to a new track. Degroup it if desired.

I think I'm nuts for creating color tracks, but I just opened the ribbon in the main track. Than opened the RBG channels one by one and copied each pixel color to the appropriate color track.

For me, building the display is easy. Programming is a challenge and I found colored tracks works well for a portion of my method of programming.

Nuts is taking 14 ribbons and breaking them into color tracks.

Bob............please tell me I am not bogging down my computer/program with all the tracks with channels that I have created.

Steve

steve synek wrote:

Bob............please tell me I am not bogging down my computer/program with all the tracks with channels that I have created.

Well, certainly the more tracks you create, the harder your computer will have to work, but there are people who successfully use a bunch of tracks (I think I've heard of people using something like 20 tracks).

It depends upon how many channels you have, how many times they're duplicated into how many tracks, how many effects are on the channels, what your computer is like (in terms of memory and so forth), and a bunch of other things. There's no real hard and strict answer.

Bob

Here's a follow up question. Would it be advantageous to create show sequences that only use one track? Or put another way. Use many tacks to create the sequence, but delete all but the main track in the final version of the sequence used for running shows.

Steve

Generally speaking there's no real advantage to doing that, especially if you are using compressed sequences (note that the default is to use them).

If you're not using compressed sequences, then perhaps you might find some noticeable speed increase, especially if you have a very big sequence with many tracks. But in this case, I would suggest (1) using compressed sequences, and (2) if you absolutely don't want to use compressed sequences, then testing whether or not loading times are actually a problem before deciding whether or not to make a special sequence like you describe.