Light-O-Rama Forums

Crosstalk between RS485 Networks

brianfox

The connectors I use are likely way beyond what is needed. Panduit SP688-C

http://www.amazon.com/Panduit-Plus-Cat6-Modular-SP688-C/dp/B003OIUS2K

Not cheap, and not the normal assembly, but I like the results.

You start by assembling the rubber strain relief with the clamping collar. (which unfortunately won't really clamp cat5 cable, only cat 6, but I have done OK without that clamping force)

Slide that pair down the cable. Strip about an inch of cable.

Fan out the 4 pairs in 4 directions. Locate the tiny spreader piece. Put the side with the divided wire channel towards the green pair. untwist each pair, and put them in the correct order, in their grooves in the spacer. Now straighten out all wires in order, much like you would for a standard cat 5 end, but with more wire. Hold them fanned out in order, and use linemans scissors to cut the fanned out ends at an angle. Locate the connector block that holds each wire in proper sequence. Determine the correct orientation. Put the longest wire through the appropriate hole. Use the varied lengths of the wires to ease slipping each wire through in series. Slide this down, and be sure it and the spacer are tight to the end of the jacket. Clip the wires off flush with the end of the connector block. As long as this does not get pulled apart, you now have all your wires held in the correct position, before inserting them into the connector shell. Determine the correct orientation, and push the prepped cable end into the connector shell. Push the strain relief and lock collar into the connector shell. Crimp.

All I can say is that some people love them, some hate them. But both my experience, and cable tester results show that they produce the most consistent results I have ever seen.

jeffl wrote:

Any recommendations on bulk cable to purchase?  I do remember the green cables from LOR were much thicker than any cables I have purchased since.  My guess is the quality of some of my cables might be poor but I don't know.

I know how to make cables if I could get known quality cable and ends.  Or are there patch cables that are known high quality for a reasonable price?

I use ProPlex Cables.

Steve

Attached files ProPlexCAT5e-LTR-web.pdf

There are a couple places where I have only 1 conduit available, so network and power have to be run together. This year, I purchased some shielded twisted pair (STP, or CAT6 with shield) that I use for the conduits. When running shielded cable, one end should be grounded, but I was too rushed to do that this year. However, it seems to be working with no problems.