Light-O-Rama Forums

Bad triple tap

LORisAwesome

Had a small problem last weekend...

After I mounted four controllers (CTB16D) to the center pole of the mega tree, went inside and checked with the HU, only three showed up. After pulling the cover on controller 01 noticed the LED was not lit.

Quickly checked to be sure all four controllers were connected to the network. Then unplugged the power from everything and tested the fuses with an ohmmeter. Both fuses were good. Plugged everything back in and set the ohmmeter to ACV. Found that I had voltage on the left side, but, the right side was dead-- weird.

I have two power cords on all my controllers for the flexibility, but, both are connected to the same triple tap. When I moved one of the power cords to the bottom plug of the triple tap, the LED started flashing and the controller showed up in the HU.

Threw that triple tap in the trash.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know triple taps apparently can fail.

Jerry

I've seen similar issues with triple taps in my display. I'd gotten them at a dollar store... Now I know why they were so cheap! Also, make sure you only buy UL listed electrical components, for the safety of your house. Don't need any fires out there...

D.T.

I got all my triple taps at Home Depot.

Not sure if they are UL listed or not. I'll have to check on that...

Jerry

I picked up 24 at Lowes on the Christmas Blowout sale in January. Originally $10.00 each got them for $1.09 each. Really good quality