Light-O-Rama Forums

CCB Release Date

Coop

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to admit it . The kid in me checks multiple times everyday hoping for them to appear on the site. I had big plans for the few strings that I was going to purchase. Admitting defeat and having to go back sucks :(

Not updating the PDU (since 10/25) in my book is almost the same as it "not being there".

I'm really disappointed with LOR's failure to communicate the state of the cosmic products. I don't recall if they ever officially announced that the cosmic products would be available this season but the expectation got there. I thought the PDU was going to be the answer. Why create/announce this tool and then not use it? Maybe I missed the boat on this one. Can anyone explain it to me? I get the predicament LOR is in. You can't control your suppliers I get that!! All I want is for LOR to step up make the announcement and lets move on. Failure to do so strains the relationships with customers, which leaves the customer to speculate and look for alternative products.

Coop wrote:

Not updating the PDU (since 10/25) in my book is almost the same as it "not being there".
I disagree. Go back and read the initial post from Sept 29. The PDU was set up to address supplier problems with the Gen 3 boards, and it has done that. Gen 3 boards are being received and shipped after passing the in-house quality assurance testing. In no place did it ever mention Cosmic products.

I'm really disappointed with LOR's failure to communicate the state of the cosmic products. I don't recall if they ever officially announced that the cosmic products would be available this season but the expectation got there.
The CCBs were never announced as being for sale. There was never an order option for the product in the web store. Any expectation was your own creation, in my opinion.
I thought the PDU was going to be the answer. Why create/announce this tool and then not use it? Maybe I missed the boat on this one. Can anyone explain it to me?
The PDU was set up for updates on the Gen 3 boards. It served its stated purpose.
I get the predicament LOR is in. You can't control your suppliers I get that!! All I want is for LOR to step up make the announcement and lets move on. Failure to do so strains the relationships with customers, which leaves the customer to speculate and look for alternative products.

In one post Dan did mention they had received an initial shipment of the CCBs and were going to start their in-house quality assurance testing. LOR has very high standards for the products they sell, and I am glad that they have this policy. If the products didn't meet their standards, then, in my opinion, they should not be paced in the web store and offered for sale.

The CCBs have never been in the web store, never offered for sale, so I don't understand why you are so upset.

JBullard wrote:

Coop wrote:
I disagree. Go back and read the initial post from Sept 29. The PDU was set up to address supplier problems with the Gen 3 boards, and it has done that. Gen 3 boards are being received and shipped after passing the in-house quality assurance testing. In no place did it ever mention Cosmic products.
I would have to disagree with you on this one Mr. B...per Dan, I believe the PDU was set up for more than just the GEN 3 Board problems:

See Dan's original post here:

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum55/28110.html

It may not have specifically mentioned Cosmic products...but it also never mentioned GEN 3 boards either...

In Coop's defense, I did not preorder from CDI and other vendors because Dan had stated in the early part of the year that CCBs and CCFs would be available mid year. Why invest in string lights when you can start with RGB? I even thought they would be released shortly after the Christmas expo where they were on demo. I spent months sequencing for them using CCR profiles as place holders for the CCB strings. I have spent the last week redoing my sequences and buying lots of string lights from Target and Home Depot.

If you email or PM Dan for details, he will update you on the status for CCBs. Give him a few days, but he will reply. I am guessing you will not have them by Thanksgiving.

I am still very excited about CCBs and hope to buy some soon.

jimswinder wrote:

JBullard wrote:
Coop wrote:
I disagree.  Go back and read the initial post from Sept 29.  The PDU was set up to address supplier problems with the Gen 3 boards, and it has done that.  Gen 3 boards are being received and shipped after passing the in-house quality assurance testing. In no place did it ever mention Cosmic products.
I would have to disagree with you on this one Mr. B...per Dan, I believe the PDU was set up for more than just the GEN 3 Board problems:

See Dan's original post here:

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum55/28110.html

It may not have specifically mentioned Cosmic products...but it also never mentioned GEN 3 boards either...

Jim old friend,

I respectfully disagree with your interpretation. :)

The PDU was set up in response to all the questions related to the regular controllers that had been officially released for sale, and that were delayed due to supplier issues.

Yes, last February Dan did give us a glimpse of new products that were being developed and that he anticipated them being for sale this year.

However that was before the earthquake hit Japan, that severely impacted many electronic component suppliers. My local Toyota dealership went for several weeks with an empty lot. The whole electronics supply chain was severely disrupted. Other much larger companies were overwhelming the remaining suppliers with orders for much larger quantities of stuff then LOR was ordering. Who do you think maybe got pushed to the back of the line?

Even right now another disruption on electronics is occurring due to the floods in Thailand.

In that same announcement last February, Dan revealed several other products in addition to the CCBs that they expected to release this year. But it seems Mother Nature had other ideas.

Even Boeing, Jim, your employer, was several years late releasing the new Dreamliner, due to supplier and quality control problems. Boeing was even taking $$$ deposits from potential customers for a product that was not even available for sale. How do you think major airlines felt when their business plans were disrupted several times due to Boeing's failure to deliver the promised product, and were missing several delivery dates by years!

Over the years, LOR has been kind enough to reveal new products being worked on, and many were never released for whatever reasons.

Threads like this is one of the reasons that from time to time Dan has commented that he was never going to reveal things that R&D is working on. But, he gets excited and does share with us.

The CCR was a total surprise to all of us when it was released. Nothing had even been hinted at previously.

Could LOR have done a better job of communication, perhaps.

But the CCB was never released for sale in the web store and maybe I have been around long enough to never plan on using a product until it is released.

Heck, I'm still waiting on LOR to release the talked about Chime-O-Matic that was talked about several years ago, and the water fountain pump controller (specs were even released regarding the types of pump motors that needed to be used with it). But I was smart enough to not design my display around it, until I had it in my hands.

Just my opinions.

JBullard wrote:

Jim old friend,

I respectfully disagree with your interpretation. :)
LOL..there was NO interpretation..

did you even look at Dan's post??? :)

We're improving our communication skills at Light-O-Rama and have created a webpage you can check to get the latest information.

We call it the PDU.

You can call it Product Development Update, Product Delivery Update or probably just PDU.

We've added a PDU link in the forums left sidebar or you can simply goto http://www.lightorama.com/pdu

We promise to update this page regularly so you know what's happening at Light-O-Rama.

Last edited on Thu Sep 29th, 2011 06:57 am by LightORamaDan

Or are you talking about the ACTUAL first PDU? Which I don't think Coop was referring to, but rather the whole PDU concept (post #10...not his first post)...

EDIT:

and I'm not old!!!! :)

and I am neither defending Coop or bashing Dan...just pointing out the facts... :?

JBullard wrote:

Even Boeing, Jim, your employer, was several years late releasing the new Dreamliner, due to supplier and quality control problems. Boeing was even taking $$$ deposits from potential customers for a product that was not even available for sale. How do you think major airlines felt when their business plans were disrupted several times due to Boeing's failure to deliver the promised product, and were missing several delivery dates by years!

and Boeing is paying back HUGE amounts of money (fines for late delivery) to the airlines that have been affected for not living up to thier promises...in the BILLIONS of dollars...

and becasue of those fines, some believe that the 787 program may NEVER be profitable...

JBullard wrote:

.Heck, I'm still waiting on LOR to release the talked about Chime-O-Matic that was talked about several years ago

you can get one of these on eBay.... :)

Attached files 281707=15635-santa.jpg

I think a lot people have made some really good points. I unfortunately designed my display around some of the new cosmic devices, thinking the supplier would come through. I did not think this was a giant assumption as these devices were being marketed as coming out soon. Most major projects rely on their suppliers to come through. I really think LOR products are great and will continue to buy in the future. The lesson that I learned from this experience is that the supply chain of these type products is a little too fragile to assume new product releases will happen until you have it in your hands. I guess some people have learned this lesson in previous years, but remember some of us are new to this hobby.

I politely asked the help desk for an ETA on the CCB's on November 11th. They replied in a timely manner with the following:

"Hello,

We are not sure if we will have CCBs this year. We are still waiting on controller
enclosures and only have a limited number of CCBs if we do start selling them.

The issue now is that we fell so far behind on controller production because of late
delivery of controller cards that we do not have the resources to assemble the CCB
controllers. We will do our best and are sorry for the way things have turned out for our
customers this year.

Best regards,
Dan
Light O Rama, Inc.
"
I hope this answers your question. It looks like no ETA at this time. If they do release some, they'll run out quick. It's time to implement Plan B.
Just remember, any sequencing you have done for CCB's puts you that much closer to being ready for 2012. (CCB's in the 2012 summer sale? We can only hope.) I sequenced for 16 CCB 50ct strings (megatree) I wanted back in February and March. Oh well
I still believe LOR has the best customer service.
-Rich

I dont think you can say "I understand the supply chain problem" and in the next breath " LOR should have been updating the customer"

You have obviously never had to deal with that type of supply issue.

I have no doubt LOR is hounding the supplier, and every day the supplier responds "not yet, but soon" are you really saying that your expectation is for someone to stop any work they COULD have been dooing each day, and make a post to the pdu page or send an email to say "Hi everyone, the news is, we dont have any news, but we think really soon" what good does that do ? because that is exactly the way these things happen.

The updates came when Dan knew he had something firm to share - just like they should have. When boards fianlly started to arive, he said "boards are here"

And the point of the PDU was to stop Rumors, and dozzens of forum posts and calls to LOR and E-mails to support to say "hey is there any news ?"

I have a job where people frequently call me all day long to ask if im done yet, and what I will be working on next - guess what, answering those calls and questions make it really hard to DO MY JOB.

You cant complain about the availability of a product you ASSUMED would be released never came to be.

Furthermore - there are plenty of CCB alternatives. Many posts have been made about LED Pixels, and Pixel controllers. The product is out there, some even using the same components as the CCR's. If you read 2 or 3 posts about RGB LED Pixel strings, instead of 10 posts about how mad and frustrated you are...

I talked to Dan during the pro decore expo, he made several statments about the CCB - and they were very open ended. I knew there was no guarentee. I bought 6803 pixel strings and controllers, and made my own CCB's.

I'm not mad at all, and I'll still buy CCB's whenever they are released.