Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you have to un-tangle your lights each year

mvinc17

We actually have a lot more issues with the extension cords being tangled than we do with lights. The 3 & 4 string super strings just don't seem to tangle that bad. Single strings get balled.

I wrap each string around my hand and put into a plastic bag and then into a tote. Unwraps easily for me.

Net lights are my least favorite.

Well, I have an unusual technique that I like.
At the end of the season, I have wire winders with a crank on them.

My son takes each string of lights (not bothering to remove the extension cord) and cranks them into the storage roller. I make a paper note of where that stretch of lights goes in the display. Then he rolls another one on top of that and continues. We have about 4 of these big rollers. I keep track of the sequence in my notebook.

At the start of the year, we simply pull on the end of the lights and put them back in reverse order. No tangle, no fuss, extension cords already attached, and fast to figure our where to put things because we have last years notes to follow.

Here are some example pics that look close to what we use, but we don't have these particular ones.
http://www.wikco.com/winder.html

I too use the "ball" method for the lights and it works great.
I always hear of people who have trouble with the extension cords and I have to chuckle though.

The number one reason why people have trouble with extension cords (well in my opinion anyway) is that they try to wind up the cords by using the over the hand and elbow method. This is the worst way to wind a cord that there is!!
You have to either hold the plug in one hand and gently form a loop of cord while paying attention to the "wind" of the cord as you do it. This will result in a cord that hangs straight without any twists in it and you can unroll it easily from either the outside or the inside without any snags at all 99% of the time.
When you take a cord and wind it over your elbow, the inside of the cord takes twists in it that are permanent and can't be removed. That is why cords will take on a figure 8 look after a couple of these windings. By doing it on one hand and watching for the "figure 8" look as you wind the cord up, you can gently make sure that the cord is staying straight and won't develope a twist.

I have SO jacketed 100 foot cords that are over 30 years old and still are just as straight as the day I made them from following this one simple rule.

Or use a winder spool which in theory will wind them straight as well.

Another method that contractors use a lot is to take a loop of cord in your hand, then take another loop and take it through the first loop. Then take another loop and go through the previous loop. Continue till cord is taken up. This will make a cord that you take the one end and walk away from the other end and the cord will "unfurl" as you go. Trouble with this method is that the cord takes on a curly effect after a couple of windings rather than setting down straight when unwound.

beeiilll wrote:

The number one reason why people have trouble with extension cords (well in my opinion anyway) is that they try to wind up the cords by using the over the hand and elbow method. This is the worst way to wind a cord that there is!!
You have to either hold the plug in one hand and gently form a loop of cord while paying attention to the "wind" of the cord as you do it. This will result in a cord that hangs straight without any twists in it and you can unroll it easily from either the outside or the inside without any snags at all 99% of the time.
When you take a cord and wind it over your elbow, the inside of the cord takes twists in it that are permanent and can't be removed. That is why cords will take on a figure 8 look after a couple of these windings. By doing it on one hand and watching for the "figure 8" look as you wind the cord up, you can gently make sure that the cord is staying straight and won't develope a twist.

I also don't have tangle problems with my lights or cords. I use the method beeiilll describes above. I also plug the male end of the cord into the female end of the cord plus put a twist tie around the cord.

I will use a tie but I also use electrical tape to wrap around each light string. Not much of any entanglement to speak of.

My uncle once said if he ever fell out of an airplane he wanted an extension cord near by. He figured that extension cords always tangle and catch on something so he and the airplaine would be tangled in it and wouldn't fall very far. :-)

There is a method that stage crews use that uses "opposite loops" to wind extension cords and they don't tangle. Might search youtube as I've seen it demonstrated there.
Jeff

When I have large electrical cords or hoses that I wrap by hand, I prefer to use the "daisy chain" method, or the "Over Under" method depending on how I plan to use it when I unwind it later. I think that is what you mean by "opposite loops". I learned it from a stage hand long ago. Works well.

Bottom line.... never coil or wrap. You'll regret it next year.

Each string of lights goes into a plastic grocery bag. With just one string it never gets tangled. Then I put lights of the same type and color into bins and tape an inventory sheet to the front. This way I can easily remember what I have. Sometimes I don't remember much after bingeing on after Christmas light sales.

Net lights need to be stretched after being in storage. I have some garage hooks drilled into my wooden shelves at the right distance apart. I just hook it up and pull gently, but firmly.

Long strings of lights (200+) and stored on reels.

Extension cords are coiled up neatly and also stored in bins.

Thus, no tangles.

I use wire reels from my company (electrical contractor). The standard medium reel will hold 10 to 12 strings, stack nicely, Most electrical contractors have piles of reels that they are having to throw away so you just need to ask..

Well taking them out of storage normally is not that much of a problem What is really a problem when you try so hard not to tangle them while you are putting them up and all of a sudden they decide to tangle on you especially after you have half of the set up on a tree and the rest decides to suddenly appear with a knot and in the process of removing it the set falls out of a tree :D

Nope, never have to untangle them when removing them from storage. Now untangling the darn things when I'm putting them on trees, bushes or other areas, that's a whole different scenario!:shock: