Light-O-Rama Forums

Proper Tools before starting First Build

Kian

Kian wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any suggestions as to the actual make and model of soldering pencils? THere are just so many out there to choose from.

Not really, I use a solder station.

You just need a 25 watt and a 40 watt. You might want to look for a fine tip on the 25 watt version.

Radio Shack, Walmart, Sears should all have them

I just use two soldering irons from Radio Shack a 25watt and a 40watt.

I found the most useful item is the magnfying glass. I went to Office Depot and got one of those circular ones with a round fluorsent light around the lens. It also has an arm the articulates so you position it as needed. Mine clamps to the work table.

I do all my soldering while looking throught the magnifying glass.

Jerry

Ok, if you plan to do a lot of soldering. I suggest a Weller with a steel tip. This will cost more than you will spend at radio shack. But the steel tip will not wear out like the copper tips do. But if you only plan to use it a few times, then save you money and get one from radio shack. Suggest Newark for the Weller.

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend you do NOT buy one that has a button you have to push to keep it heated. I bought a cordless one from RadioShack and gladly replaced it with a cordless Hakko (without the button)less than a week later after assembling 1 Rainbow Flood. Love the cordless/battery powered Hakko. HATED that button on the one from Radio Shack. Only downside I've seen for the cordless is they really eat batteries.

Hope this helps.

I can also vouch for the Hakko..price is reasonable, I've had one going on a couple years and would (should..) buy a second one in a heartbeat. Have never had an issue with it.

Like any other kinds of tools, everyone has their preference. My larger iron is a weller with temp control...no complaints.