Light-O-Rama Forums

Enttec Pro setup

jerrymac

Seems at the moment the only dmx converter that is supported by both LOR 3 and LSP 2 is the Enttec Pro. Since I have both software versions and want to be able to use either at the moment, I will be ordering a Enttec Pro.

My question here is what cables? it appears it has male and female 5 pin DMX conncections. what do I order to connect to the computer and to connect Cat 5 cable for the dmx controllers and lights?

As I have been using Enttec Pro for about a week, I am probably not experienced enough to give tons of advice. THe Enttec Pro does come with a USB cable to connect from a USB port on your computer to the Enttec Pro decive. The device has a 5 pin input and output connection. There are lots of opinions about what should be the proper cabling for dmx devices. Some make their own, some use Cat 5 cable. There are 3 pin dmx devices and 5 pin devices.. I would recommend doing a search on "dmx cable" and you should find lots of stuff.

Thanks, i couldn't find in the listings if the USB to dmx cable came with them or not, Guess a dmx 5 pin cable cut and grafted to cat 5 will work for the output since I will be using initially for RGB lights only?

Depends on the RGB light fixtures you are using.

Many DMX light fixtures have 3 or 5 pin DMX jacks, so going with native DMX cables with 3/5 pins from Enttec to fixtures would work.

Otherwise you would need to convert from DMX jack to Cat 5 and back on the other end since both ends would need to be DMX plugs (unless you're using rainbow products that use RJ45 plugs, but most DMX fixtures are DMX jacks). Many DMX shops sell converter plugs that go from DMX to RJ45/Cat5 and back so you can just use Cat 5 cabling in between.

All depends on what cables you own already or what you want to buy.

Thanks for the help. found dmx 5 to dmx 3 conversion adapter and dmx 3 to RJ45 adapter. Looks like I'm cooking with gas now.

I have an ENTTEC Open and an ENTTEC Pro. I made two XLR adapters (bought male 5-pin plugs on e-bay).

One is wired to connect to LOR DMX hardware (pins 4 and 5), the other adapter goes to the "other standard" of pins 1 and 2.

• The topic was locked