Light-O-Rama Forums

Show stops prematurely

Gregg Hess

Its preseason and during this time I let the show run from 8:00 AM until 11:00 PM without the controllers being powered up. This is just a test. My show computer is dedicated to the show and nothing else so I let it run.

Every day it has quit with an error "Cannot read show file c:LORshowshess 2011 everything"

I am using an older desk top PC dell pentium 4 2.1 GHz with 1g memory. This is running Windows XP home edition with SP3 and every update available.

I am running LOR S3 3.1.2. Additionally I am running MiniRDS. Thats it.

Sometimes I am able to shut down LOR and start it back up with no problems. One time everything was locked up - I had to unplug it and then reboot.

Any ideas?

Update. I just reinitialized this computer prior to installing LOR. It had 256mb of memory at that time so the page data set was only 384mb. I just switched to system managed virtual memory. Since that time I installed 1gb memory. Maybe I was running out of virtual memory? I don't know.

Additionally I moved the LOR directory. Maybe I have a bad spot on my disk. Again, I don't know. I will let it run over night and see what happens.

Yes but it has 1 gb now.
The show ran for a little over 6 hours, shut down and restarted for no reson. It was in the middle of the schedule.
Then I got this error

ERROR STARTING SEQUENCE ( Automation error
Not enough quota is available to process command):Musical c:LORSequencesXMAS Medley cut 1.lms

Then after about 45 minutes of that error it started to say
Cannot read show file c:|LORShows........

That "not enough quota" message is coming from Windows, not LOR (LOR is relaying it to you, but it's relaying it to you from Windows). It seems like it indicates a memory issue, and if your computer is having memory issues, all sorts of wacky things can happen.

Microsoft's documentation for the "not enough quota" error says:

Close some applications and try again. If you still get this message, choose System from Control Panel, then choose Virtual Memory and increase the size of your paging file.

Thanks Bob. As mentioned above I changed to System Managed Memory and my understanding is it will take as much as needed. No on else is reporting this problem so I believe it is my PC. This past time I never saw the page file go above 270mb. As I mentioned earlier I upgraded from 256mb RAM to 1Gb RAM. Maybe I actuall downgraded. Maybe I have a bad memory chip? Your thoughts?

I've never seen this problem before, but it certainly seems like a memory problem to me. Maybe you have bad RAM, maybe your hard drive is out of space for paging, maybe some rogue program is using absurd amounts of memory (and maybe that rogue program is an LOR program, but maybe not).

I don't believe I have a rogue program and I don't believe its LOR. I was monitoring with Task Manager and I saw nothing strange. The machine runs at about 2% except when its loloading a new sequence.

When I get home today I will remove the 1gb RAM card and put the 256mb card back in. I don't edit sequences on this machine. I only use it to run the show. 256 might be enough to run the show.

Update: IT WORKED!!! I removed the 1gb memory card and put the 256mb card that came with it back in. It has been running for 18 hours with NO problems.

When I had the 1gb card in I fulled with virtual many times. In every case it would run about 5 - 6 hours and quit with the error. Either the memory card is bad, I did not set it up right or my old PC just cant handle it.

I know 256mb is pretty small but it runs the show. Thats all this PC is needed for. I do my sequencing on my lap top which has an I5 processor and 4gb memory.

All is well for now.

Update: It's still working but I did have one more problem. For testing I had a show scheduled from 8:00 AM Saturday thru 11:00 PM Sunday - same show. LOR did a shutdown just before midnight and it recieved a timing error when it tried to start back up. I disabled the show, rebooted and re enabled it - no problem. It did this again at noon on Sunday.

Although this did not work it does not create a problem for me because it does not resemble my real world. I only did it for testing. If you need this you might want to end one show just before 12:00 and start a new show at 12:00