Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I apply/paste timings to all tracks in a sequence at once?

ace_master

When I create a new sequence, I usually use the beat wizard and it applies the timings to track 1 just fine, but none of the other tracks ever have timings when I go to edit something.
Is there a simple way to copy/paste the timing of one track onto your entire track layout without pasting it onto one track at a time (I have like 20 tracks)?

All the way to the right on your tool bar is a "timings" drop-down box. Go to the next track in your sequence, open the drop-down box and select the timing grid you want. If you make multiple timing grids (beat x2, x4, etc.) you can change timing grids any time you want.

George Simmons wrote:

All the way to the right on your tool bar is a "timings" drop-down box. Go to the next track in your sequence, open the drop-down box and select the timing grid you want. If you make multiple timing grids (beat x2, x4, etc.) you can change timing grids any time you want.
Of the dozens of hours Ive spent staring at this program, I never even noticed that was there, lol. Thanks George. :)

Is there no way to apply your initial timing grid to all tracks at once during the creation of a sequence though?

ace_master wrote:

Is there no way to apply your initial timing grid to all tracks at once during the creation of a sequence though?

Unfortunately, no. You have to go through each track and independantly set the timing. I wish there was a way to do it all at once too since I use the same timing grid in all tracks. I thought when you saved the configuration file it would also save the same timing that was set in ALL tracks, it doesn't, I think it should, once they've been set in all the tracks, and been exported to the config file, all timings set should stay put. But only the very first track (Track #1) is the only way that stays set.

There needs to be a default setting for this where you can set all tracks to the timing grid you want all at once and on creation of a sequence, or allow it to be freeform. But the choice should be up to the end user, just my opinion.

I was also hoping that sliding tools menu on the left side of the screen would have an option to DISABLE it so it doesn't even show up in the SE. That thing is nothing more than a nuisance to me, a royal thorn in my side when I'm trying to copy from one sequence to another and accidently roll the mouse over that blasted thing, then I have to wait for it to disappear before I can continue, I WASTE more time with that than anything else. I was really hoping S3 would have finally had this option implemented so we could either "hide it completely" and not have to worry about it, or unhide it, again, end user preference.

Guess that wasn't to be either.

Orville wrote:

I was also hoping that sliding tools menu on the left side of the screen would have an option to DISABLE it so it doesn't even show up in the SE. That thing is nothing more than a nuisance to me, a royal thorn in my side when I'm trying to copy from one sequence to another and accidently roll the mouse over that blasted thing, then I have to wait for it to disappear before I can continue, I WASTE more time with that than anything else. I was really hoping S3 would have finally had this option implemented so we could either "hide it completely" and not have to worry about it, or unhide it, again, end user preference.

Huh?

You must have found another one of all those bugs you posted about in your version of S3 :)

With my version S3, I can click on VIEW, uncheck TOOL PANEL and "poof" it's gone!

I take it this is where I'm supposed to chime in with the advice I always give when someone remarks or asks how I know so much about the software...

Read the help files - all of them. And then open or create a new sequence and take the time to explore EVERY item in EVERY menu just to see what it does or what it allows you to do. Not only will you find things that will amaze and even astound you, but I flat out guarantee that anyone who does this will be a better, faster and happier sequencer.

JBullard wrote:

Orville wrote:

Huh?

You must have found another one of all those bugs you posted about in your version of S3 :P

With my version S3, I can click on VIEW, uncheck TOOL PANEL and "poof" it's gone!

No, I thought that would DISABLE something in the tool bar at the top, not the sliding one off to the left. Nor would I consider "this type option" a "bug".

So thanks for the information as I was truly unaware of this and was not going to uncheck that for fear of something or the entire top toolbar disappearing, and I've had other programs that would do that, then be a bit difficult to figure out how to get that top tool bar or option back.

So very happy to see this was and is implemented in S3! I was just unaware of that option.

My apologies for not knowing about this particular option.

Sure gonna save me from some aggravation now that I can turn that off!:P

If I could edit the post, I'd retract those statements, unfortunately after an hour, you can't fix or retract anything except in another post.

So please consider this my retraction of those statements on the tool panel in a previous post.

Orville wrote:

I thought when you saved the configuration file it would also save the same timing that was set in ALL tracks, it doesn't, I think it should, once they've been set in all the tracks, and been exported to the config file, all timings set should stay put. But only the very first track (Track #1) is the only way that stays set.

I'm not sure I understand the idea - saving timings to the config file? The issue is that timings for one sequence don't necessarily make sense for another sequence, especially when you consider things like the Tapper Wizard, VU Wizard, Beat Wizard, and MIDI Wizard.

Am I misunderstanding?

No Bob, you are understanding correctly and I feel the majority of us like it just the way it is.

NO timings saved in the config file please, that would really create a mess.

Please do NOT consider any changes.

JBullard wrote:

No Bob, you are understanding correctly and I feel the majority of us like it just the way it is.

NO timings saved in the config file please, that would really create a mess.

Please do NOT consider any changes.

+1 to that. Please do not saving timings to the LCC file.

I like the software the way it is too. My only desire on this topic is that when creating a new sequence, it would be helpful if there was a little check box for "apply timings to all tracks" while creating your sequences original timing grid.

bob wrote:

Orville wrote:
I thought when you saved the configuration file it would also save the same timing that was set in ALL tracks, it doesn't, I think it should, once they've been set in all the tracks, and been exported to the config file, all timings set should stay put. But only the very first track (Track #1) is the only way that stays set.

I'm not sure I understand the idea - saving timings to the config file? The issue is that timings for one sequence don't necessarily make sense for another sequence, especially when you consider things like the Tapper Wizard, VU Wizard, Beat Wizard, and MIDI Wizard.

Am I misunderstanding?

Possibly Bob. You see I use a "fixed timing grid of 0.15" in *all* my sequences, so for me, having the timings the same in all tracks would save me time, instead of having to go and reset every block(track) to a timing of 0.15.

Even if I use the wizards, they are set at 0.15 timing before I even start using them. Just 0.15 works best for me, and I'd like to be able to save my configuration file with all current and new tracks to default to the 0.15 timing grid.

Does that help clear it up?