Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility still buggy

George Simmons

I've downloaded 3.1 and am still getting strange and unpredictable results when using hardware utility. I've had problems with all three release versions of S3 but it seems to be getting worse. I've currently got 11 controllers connected and the HU will find anywhere between 3 and 11 controllers in successive refreshes. Various controllers will be labeled as "unknown device ???". I've even got a "BootLoader - ELD 16" (whatever THAT is) where I once had a CTB16PC.

Jim Saul wrote:

George, are you sure your cat 5 cables are good? I was getting similar results, turned out to be a bad cable.

Jim,

How does one test a Cat5 cable? And why would it only screw up on hardware utility? When I run a sequence, everything connected performs correctly...

Update:

I turned the pc off last night and then restarted this morning. Ran HU and got the following Error message: "Serial Event Error (Poll type 41) Subscript out of range". At this point, HU became unresponsive and had to be closed via task manager.

If it weren't for one of those I never would have known I had a bad cable myself. Apparently one of my cat5's got pinched and broke a few wires inside, unfortunately they were the wires that the LOR network uses. Hadn't of been for this handy dandy gadget, I'd probably still be trying to second guess why something wasn't working!

Thanks guys for the advice, and thanks to Dan for the link. I ordered one, realizing it's something I should have done a couple years ago.

But that's not my problem - at least not this time. I found what it was - basically I'll call it unintended consequences

Last season I was having an issue and Dan gave me some advice regarding using a repeater differently than what the instructions show. I had hooked things up that way again this year. But as I started working my way out from the PC today, I reverted the repeater's condition to what the manual says and shazam - the problem cleared up!

Bottom line? Never mind - not the fault of the software - and not related to the similar issue that LOR fixed previously.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled activity...

I highly recommend those. Have two, one I keep inside near my router and the other in my LOR toolbox.

Just as necessary as a Kil-o-watt in my opinion.

Glad you got it worked out, George.