Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the funniest thing you've encountered during setup?

scubado

While stringing up the roof line another neighbor calls out "Hey, arent you Jewish ?" "Yes, but I did stay at a holiday in express last night"

And for the record, Yes, I am - But you guys are just going to have to share your holiday!

I was reviewing my first LOR show two years ago while sitting across the street from my house to make sure I didn't have any hiccups before it was time to begin the actual show. I normally have a 8 watt powered speaker in the front yard for anyone that walks up to the house so they can hear the show and it's not too intrusive on my neighbors. I had my FM transmitter on while I was using a small radio to listen to the show.

My neighbors come home and ask me what I'm up to. I explain the whole LOR setup and they're intrigued and they try to listen to my little radio but it's too small. My neighbor's friends arrive from the party everyone had been to and ask me what's happening too.

Keep in mind, I'm trying to be low key since I don't think my show is ready for primetime yet. Someone (and then all three cars) tune their radios full blast to my station and suddenly the entire neighborhood (if not half the city) can hear my show. I can see neighbors several houses away stepping out of their front doors to see what's going on. I thought that they would only keep it at full blast for just a little bit but it went on for a few songs. I imagined that the cops were going to be arriving any minute.

Finally everything settled down and I left to kill the show but I thought for sure I was going to get a ticket that night.

Here's one that I posted on another thread back in March:

One of my favorite stories came years back. I was out fixing the lights one night and a young man walked up and asked if I was the owner of the house and the lights. I said yes, and he told me that for about four years he used to come to our neighborhood and sit in his car at the [highlight= #FFFF88]church[/highlight] [highlight= #88FFFF]parking[/highlight] [highlight= #88FF88]lot[/highlight] (across the street) and drink his booze and do his drugs while he watched my lights. Then he said "I want you to know I have been sober and drug-free for nine months now. This year I am sitting at the [highlight= #FFFF88]church[/highlight] watching your lights to get a 'natural high.'"

Guest Don Gillespie

I am constantly bringing stuff down to my shop for yearly maintence and repairs and at this time of the year it is hectic, the guys know not to bother me, they are really good, so last week I took a pair of wire cutters (from the shop) home for a quick up on the ladder repair, now I am usually pretty good about putting tools away when I am done using them and I tear a strip off my guys if they don't put stuff back, so this morning I am in the shop looking for the frickin wire cutters, can't find them, call all the guys to the back of the shop make them empty their trucks, tools belts, and tool bags all the while yelling and screaming that no one cares about the tools, they have no frickin respect for anyone else's tools and so on and so on, about 20 minutes later my wife calls the shop and wants to know what she should do with the fricken wire cutters that went in the washing machine and how do I plan on paying for a new washing machine, as the wire cutters did do some damage I felt kinda dumb I figured if I can keep my wife from telling the guys I can get away with this, ya right. I might have blown my budget for after Christmas sales but at least I found the frickin wire cutters :?

I had someone stop last year and said they really like the show but couldnt figure out how i got the radio station to play christmas music to my lights.I told her it took a little bit of work. And yesterday I was up on my carport putting up my inflatable polar bear and I heard a bunch of kids yelling look at the big bear I stood up and there was a school bus stopped in front of the house and all the kids had the windows down looking out gave me a chuckle

Well I did leave a LED string in the tree after teardown last year(2010). Didn't even know it was still there until I went to trim up the tree sometime in March 2010 to thin it out, climbed up and found a set of white LED's still tied to a couple branches. Have no idea how I missed them when I removed all the other strings around, above and below it.

Don Gillespie wrote:

I am constantly bringing stuff down to my shop for yearly maintence and repairs and at this time of the year it is hectic, the guys know not to bother me, they are really good, so last week I took a pair of wire cutters (from the shop) home for a quick up on the ladder repair, now I am usually pretty good about putting tools away when I am done using them and I tear a strip off my guys if they don't put stuff back, so this morning I am in the shop looking for the frickin wire cutters, can't find them, call all the guys to the back of the shop make them empty their trucks, tools belts, and tool bags all the while yelling and screaming that no one cares about the tools, they have no frickin respect for anyone else's tools and so on and so on, about 20 minutes later my wife calls the shop and wants to know what she should do with the fricken wire cutters that went in the washing machine and how do I plan on paying for a new washing machine, as the wire cutters did do some damage I felt kinda dumb I figured if I can keep my wife from telling the guys I can get away with this, ya right. I might have blown my budget for after Christmas sales but at least I found the frickin wire cutters :?

Frickin post of the week, hands down.

shfr26 wrote:

And he didn't apologize to his guys???  Nice boss.:P

Like my boss, it's always some elses fault! I'm sure his employees put them in his pocket while he wasn't looking, or distracted him so he forgot he put it in his pockets.

Guest Don Gillespie

Arnoldc wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
And he didn't apologize to his guys??? Nice boss.:P

Like my boss, it's always some elses fault! I'm sure his employees put them in his pocket while he wasn't looking, or distracted him so he forgot he put it in his pockets.

No need to apologize the guys know me to well they all kinda looked at me like are you a moron not this again. :)

and yes my guys have been known to sneak tools from there trucks into the back seat of mine and then blame it on me its quite a game we have, and my guys are great they know I mean no harm :P

today I was setting up my 25' weber mega tree. As anyone who has build one of these knows, the wires are quite a web. I tried to climb thru the tree to get to the wire for the star on top that was attached to the center pole. Of course I had a tape measure clipped to my belt and various pliers, cutters, and zip tie guns hanging out of every pocket. Well, I made it about half way thru and got stuck. I took everything out of my pockets but couldn't reach the tape measure that was hung up. I didn't want to force my way thru in fear of ruining something. I had to take my belt off and wiggle around for a while to make it the rest of the way thru. Thankfully my pants stayed up and even better noone saw me!

mbettez wrote:

today I was setting up my 25' weber mega tree. As anyone who has build one of these knows, the wires are quite a web. I tried to climb thru the tree to get to the wire for the star on top that was attached to the center pole. Of course I had a tape measure clipped to my belt and various pliers, cutters, and zip tie guns hanging out of every pocket. Well, I made it about half way thru and got stuck. I took everything out of my pockets but couldn't reach the tape measure that was hung up. I didn't want to force my way thru in fear of ruining something. I had to take my belt off and wiggle around for a while to make it the rest of the way thru. Thankfully my pants stayed up and even better noone saw me!

That was a visual I didn't need to read! :)