Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the funniest thing you've encountered during setup?

scubado

An older lady pulls up into my driveway to say hi and compliments what I've done with the lights in the past and can't wait to see what's next and hands me a roll of Mentos to help keep my energy up! :D

Two years ago, a real estate agent in a business suit and expensive Mercedes is visiting a neighbor and watches me on the roof (with safety harness). He yells out at me that I must be crazy to be up there on the roof where I could fall.

That comment came right before he tripped and fell in a mud puddle. He sheepishly gets in his car and speeds away.... never to be seen again.

Richard, that was hilarious! Sometimes when folks make a comment before looking to see if someone is secured so they won't fall, it just comes back at them a lot worse than if they'd just kept their mouth shut and went about their business!

Can't say I've had anything humourous happen when I've been putting up my display from others, now, however, when you open a controller to plug in a cat5 cable and find a lizard hiding in their you didn't see, now that can be quite a surprise when it leaps out at you from behind the circuit card. Had that happen a couple times.

Orville wrote:

Richard, that was hilarious! Sometimes when folks make a comment before looking to see if someone is secured so they won't fall, it just comes back at them a lot worse than if they'd just kept their mouth shut and went about their business!

Can't say I've had anything humourous happen when I've been putting up my display from others, now, however, when you open a controller to plug in a cat5 cable and find a lizard hiding in their you didn't see, now that can be quite a surprise when it leaps out at you from behind the circuit card. Had that happen a couple times.

At least it didn't die in there. My brother is a photographer in Florida, and he had one die in his camera bag. It stunk really bad and couldn't get the smell out.

I did find a dead one in one last year, fortunately I found it lying at the bottom not too soon after it got zapped, apparently gotten "electrocuted", surprised it didn't zap the controller! Hmmm, maybe that's why channel 5 on controller 03 is stuck on at 75% and won't turn off. Since that was the controller I found it in.

I've tried to put things (styrofoam) around the cords and a couple other things to keep vermin out of the controllers, but seems some still get inside no matter how "bugproof" I think the controller is!

Oh, and that's why I never lay my camera bag down anywhere, too many strange things in Florida can crawl in there when you're not looking, pygmy rattlesnakes, lizards, other snakes and no telling what else. So my bags stay sealed and camera bag stays on my shoulder so I pretty much know what's in there. And yes, those lizards sure can stink up an environment and like you said, practically impossible to get that stench out of anything it's come in contact with!

Setting up my display I often think of Bill Engvall (here's your sign).

Can't tell you how many times I hear "Are you setting up your Christmas lights" while holding or installing one of the elements. I wanted to say "Nope, just thought the birds need some light up here on the roof", but all I say is Yes.

ainsworth wrote:

Can't tell you how many times I hear "Are you setting up your Christmas lights" while holding or installing one of the elements. I wanted to say "Nope, just thought the birds need some light up here on the roof", but all I say is Yes.

Yea, that is funny. Everyone gets that question. I hear it at least 5 times a year from neighbors and people passing by.

For the last few years my standard line is "No we are not doing Christmas lights. We decided to turn the house into a prostitution business, so we need lots of red lights to let customers know where we are" !!! The drive away with one of two thoughts... "Smart ass" or "Should I call the police"

ainsworth wrote:

Had a car stop and ask me that and I told them "No, I had a government grant to install directional lighting for the migrating geese so they could find their way easier!"

Sad part is that the person stopped back a day later and wanted information on obtaining a grant like that!

Years ago I was outlining the roof of the house with white LEDS and as I was testing them this little girl was watching me and after a few minutes she said..."Hey Mister, Why you putting Christmas lights on your roof?"

I replied.....Landing lights for Santa Claus

a big smile is what she gave back as an answer

ever since I always remember that moment and that's one of the reasons why I do the Light Show year after year

A person stopped and ask me if I was worried someone might steal my equipment. I told the no, if the things are unplugged or the controllers opened it activates a small hidden camera and they have their picture taken and an alarm is activated thru my home security directly to the police department. He just wandered away.

PMC wrote:

Years ago I was outlining the roof of the house with white LEDS and as I was testing them this little girl was watching me and after a few minutes she said..."Hey Mister, Why you putting Christmas lights on your roof?"

I replied.....Landing lights for Santa Claus

a big smile is what she gave back as an answer

ever since I always remember that moment and that's one of the reasons why I do the Light Show year after year

I haven't had anything too funny happen while setting up, but I am still a Newbie. However, I do remember reading a post on here last year about a member being come on to by a woman while he was setting his stuff up. She also had a son that really liked the lights, and she insisted that he help the guy with setup. The guy's wife kept teasing him about it. Can't find the post now, but it was pretty bizarre. Maybe someone on here remembers.

Guest wbottomley

This happens while the show is running.... but on the fire department sign, it describes the light show, hours, and frequency. At the bottom it list the Chief's phone number. The frequency is right above his number. So... some of the dumb masses will call his phone number and ask what station do they turn the radio to.

I shake my head when he tells this each time. lol

pikadroo wrote:

Ok, so last year I am decorating and it's about 6pm and it's dark. Much easier to put lights up after dark I think... anyhow, blonde guy pulls up on a bicycle, stops and gets off. Takes off his bicycle helmet and says, "hi." I replied, "Hello there." He says nothing more and for 30 minutes he watches me work. Finally, my friend comes home and I go in the house with her. The guy leaves... 8 months later at our garage sale the neighbor starts talking about a guy who murdered his father a few blocks over. That it was just in the news paper with his mug shot, and sure enough it was that guy.

Perhaps not so humors, but it makes you wonder.

Drew

So you are to blame :shock: Freaked him out with that light show of yours.

Not necessarily directly related, but a few years ago we were putting up lights and friends of ours stopped by noticing our progress. It happened to be the pastors wife of our church at the time, she starts having a conversation with my wife and my dog runs up and lifts his leg and pees all on her designer jeans.

We were mortified, our dog has never done anything like that before or since, and yes we happily bought her a gift card for new jeans...

We laugh hysterically now everytime we remember the story.

The thing that made me laugh was finding my wire cutters in the gutter that I hadn't been able to find since last year. Guess I should ask Santa for a toolbelt.