Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR and Basic RGB questions??

ChristmasCanada

Hi All... I've been reading a ton of info on RGB lighting and have a few questions.

I'm wanting to outline my roof with CCRs and use just basic RGB strips for doors and windows.

How many CCR controllers are required to run 8 CCR strips end to end.? Should a power supply be ran to each strip.?

I'm thinking the LOR DC card should work for just the basic RGB strips. How many strips can be run off 1 DC card.? If I purchase the 5050 led strips will I be able to choose different colors other then RGB.? I know that each pixel can't be controlled .

Any info would be great..

Thanks Mark

ChristmasCanada wrote:

Hi All... I've been reading a ton of info on RGB lighting and have a few questions.

I'm wanting to outline my roof with CCRs and use just basic RGB strips for doors and windows.

How many CCR controllers are required to run 8 CCR strips end to end.? Should a power supply be ran to each strip.?

I'm thinking the LOR DC card should work for just the basic RGB strips. How many strips can be run off 1 DC card.? If I purchase the 5050 led strips will I be able to choose different colors other then RGB.? I know that each pixel can't be controlled .

Edit: by "blending" the RGB proportions, the dumb 5050 strips can be alomost any color.

Any info would be great..

Thanks Mark

Each CCR is a controller and a strip(approx 16 feet. While not officially supported, additional replacement strips can be ordered, but "surgury" on the strips and additional power for each strip would be required. Another concern would be the strength of the data signals to the additional CCR strips.

The basic "dumb" 5050 RGB strips can be run just fine from the DC card. The only limitation would be the capacity of the power supply (you furnish) . Each channel can handle 4 amps, max 20 amps per 8 channel bank, 40 amps for the card total.

Thanks for the info. So the best bet for the 8 CCRs to outline my roof would be to just buy 8 with controllers and power supplies.?

Well I ordered 2 a week ago and still waiting for the shipping notice. It's going to cost allot but willing to to give it a go. What's the best way to upgrade my basic software to control the CCRs.? I'm going to purchase the superstar as well. I may need to remove my S2 because the schedule editor was having problems. I'm trying to figure out the cost to upgrade but no making much sense. What should I upgrade to.? I'll be running 2 16 channel controllers 8 CCRs and a16 channel 12v DC card.?

Advance, since you will have 11 controllers.

If you are also going to be using Superstar for the RGB DC card channels, then the 24 ribbon version, other wise just the 8 ribbon version for use only with the CCRs

What power supply would you recommend for the 12v DC card.? I'll be running basic RGB strips. Also I'm having problems with my show scheduler in S2. Should I delete S2 before upgrading to S3 advanced and superstar.?

What is the current draw for the strips as you will be using them in your display? I always calculate the using the max draw of the strips when they are full on (white) and then select a power supply that will meet that max current draw plus an additional 30% or so. I don't like to stress those small switching power supplies.

No need to delete S2.

Thanks so much JBullard... You have been a great help. Going to start upgrade now.

• The topic was locked