Light-O-Rama Forums

What do you hate most in your display?

jstorms

What I hate most in my display is my neighbors dog they got last Feb. I found a extension cord that had been chewed on in the yard this morning.:X:X

Now I have some decisions to make. I am not in the mood this year to work on/fix broken or chewed up things in the display.:X

Paul Roberson wrote:

What I hate most in my display is my neighbors dog they got last Feb. I found a extension cord that had been chewed on in the yard this morning.:X:X

Now I have some decisions to make. I am not in the mood this year to work on/fix broken or chewed up things in the display.:X

Don't you have leash laws where you live? If you do and the dog is running free, then you have 2 options, shoot the dang thing, or call the local animal control and complain that the dog is a nuisance animal because it is coming into your yard and destroying electrical cords, which may end up electrocuting the stupid dog anyway.

I'd do the animal control thing first, then if that didn't work, I'd be shooting a dog running loose in my yard destroying things!

I called animal control on a neighbor when we were in a house because of their dogs coming into our yard and deficating all over the place, including our driveway, and destroying decorations, as well as cords!

So I had the dang dogs picked up as animal control drove around just waiting for them to be running loose and free, we do have leash laws and a dog(s) can not be allowed to roam the neighborhood off leash or unsupervised. After it cost the neighbor some $$ to get their dogs out, they didn't go running the neighborhood after that.

Paul Roberson wrote:

What I hate most in my display is my neighbors dog they got last Feb. I found a extension cord that had been chewed on in the yard this morning.:X:X

Last year I had a neighborhood dog make off with some of my Halloween elements. The owner was very apologetic, but a couple of the pieces were chewed too much to be salvageable. Sadly, we don't have leash laws here.

My solution this year was to put out a motion activated ultrasound generator. It was designed for keeping cats away, but works great for dogs as well. I put it in the yard and never saw a single dog out there all season.

Of course, I expect it to work just as well for Christmas!

evan.a wrote:

my family too busy to help. so doing it alone.

That's the issue that I am having. Although, my daughter helped with the building of the Mega Tree base frame and my mini arches, but that was it.

Of course, all my kids and my wife are in school and studying all the time. I guess I won't complain too much.

doing it alone doesn't bother me. It's quiet time, and the only folks bothering me are the ones that walk by and ask me why I'm starting the setup so early.

The thing I hate are the trees. up the ladder, throw the string. Down the ladder, move the ladder, back up the ladder. Forgot the light string, back down the ladder, get the light string, back up the ladder, throw the string.

Repeat (til the end of time)

I have two pretty large live trees in my front yard that are driving me crazy. I have to hire an electrician with a bucket truck to come and run incand. mini strings up the branches. I sacrafice the strings each year cuz it would be the same thing to take them down in January. I have posted here looking for suggestions, and the best one was to cut them down. I sure wish I had an alternative. They are the only part of my display that I absolutely HATE to tackle. I bought enough incand strings to do the trees for the next 3 years, but after that, I simply can't afford $400/year in LED's just for these two trees.

I have a 28' extension ladder and a healthy respect for heights... Don't particularly like to lug that thing around, and don't particularly like to look down when I'm up on it. But the thing I used to hate the most was attaching the hoisting pulleys for my mega trees. They would be attached to a 1/4" aircraft cable that was strung tight between two of my oak trees. I'd have to lean the ladder on the cable and climb up to about 20 or 21 feet to attach the pulleys. There was nothing to keep the ladder from sliding, and had something ugly happened, I would have ended up about 8 feet out in the street. My knees used to be shaking when I got down from that climb...

D.T.

PS - I don't have to deal with that any more, because my oaks are gone, so no cable to climb up to...

jim6918 wrote:

I have two pretty large live trees in my front yard that are driving me crazy. I have to hire an electrician with a bucket truck to come and run incand. mini strings up the branches. I sacrafice the strings each year cuz it would be the same thing to take them down in January. I have posted here looking for suggestions, and the best one was to cut them down. I sure wish I had an alternative. They are the only part of my display that I absolutely HATE to tackle. I bought enough incand strings to do the trees for the next 3 years, but after that, I simply can't afford $400/year in LED's just for these two trees.

If the LEDs are all they are said to be, maybe they will last from year to year... Anyone leave their LED out all year?

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

I have a 28' extension ladder and a healthy respect for heights... Don't particularly like to lug that thing around, and don't particularly like to look down when I'm up on it. But the thing I used to hate the most was attaching the hoisting pulleys for my mega trees. They would be attached to a 1/4" aircraft cable that was strung tight between two of my oak trees. I'd have to lean the ladder on the cable and climb up to about 20 or 21 feet to attach the pulleys. There was nothing to keep the ladder from sliding, and had something ugly happened, I would have ended up about 8 feet out in the street. My knees used to be shaking when I got down from that climb...

D.T.

PS - I don't have to deal with that any more, because my oaks are gone, so no cable to climb up to...

Boy do I recognize that shaky knee reaction. Many was/is the time I wish I had 3 arms. Two to cling to the ladder and one to work with. I often respond to people when they compliment me on my decorating, "Yes, just imagine what I could do if I wasn't terrified of heights."

DownTown wrote:

jim6918 wrote:

If the LEDs are all they are said to be, maybe they will last from year to year... Anyone leave their LED out all year?

D.T.

I asked Paul at CDI about this and he said that the issue is not with the LED lights and sockets, it's the wire which will break down pretty rapidly in the weather and sun. I would like to hear from people who leave out their LED rope light. Does the clear plastic covering break down or oxidize? At one time I had even considered EL wire or fiber optic wire.

Last year we put up the mega with a star on the top and guess what, yep, forgot to plug up the star to the ext. cord we had zip-tied to the pole. Had to lean the ladder against the pole and crawl up inside the light strings to reach the plugs now at the top of the pole. It's a very tight squeeze.

• The topic was locked