Light-O-Rama Forums

What do you hate most in your display?

jstorms

I love sequencing lights, but there are some parts to installation that I really don't look forward too. They look great when done, and worth doing, but...

The two trees in my front yard get a few thousand lights each and I get dizzy going around and around with my arms above my head the whole time.

My wife hates staking the yard (1000 C6's), each with their own stake.

What part of you light show do you hate the most?

Actually don't mind the build of the display, what I hate the most is EVERYTHING WORKS fine when tested, but when finally firmly planted in its location, turn on to retest, and now you have items that DON'T WORK and either have to be pulled out or light string completely replaced, which may still mean pulling it out to restring it!

Got two items, LED strings that are zip tied to some Christmas Characters (Santa Claus and an Elf w/Christmas Tree), BOTH worked 100% Thursday evening when I tested them, put them out Fridya, finally wired them to their controller and channel designation, ran a test Saturday night, and WHAM, neither now work! Yes, checked for loose LED bulbs, looked to make sure it was plugged in and tested the cord going to the item with a working LED string.

Now, THAT'S WHAT I HATE MOST!

And no, I'm not finished constructing my display, I'm about 50% there at the moment.

What I hate most is rain (and in my north-east part of France November is a rain's favorite) when you've got lots of things to set up and particularly wiring...
And the other thing is people walking along and saying : look at him : "Halloween hasn't come yet and he's putting Christmas lights on !"

There is just something about mini-trees, and wrapping them, that I avoid no matter what. I have another 10 or so to do...thats just one less than when I settled on the 2011 design in the spring time.

That, and, of course those unexpected surprises...I purchased 6 arches this spring, was lazy and didn't test them after I brought them home, pulled them out yesterday, and had several dark or partially lit strings. They rode home stuffed in a small SUV, and my guess is, I created my own mess.

So add to the ever growing project task list..."repair used arches..."...:D

2nd story gutter. I've tried hanging swags, hanging snowflakes... they always get blown ontop of the gutter & are stuck all season. LED C-9's last year (and this) - it's something, but it's boring.

The only thing I hate this year is Not being able to put my display out due to an injury. I am anticipating a lot of families being disappointed.

My icicle lights blow ontop of the roof and normally get stuck there durring the entier season
and I also hate tripping over wires also the ever so agervating GFCI Poping every time it rains

Ladder day.

That's the day I have to get on the extension ladder to get up all the high lights on the peaks and chimney. I get more nervous every year and never seem to have any help on this day. Nervousness has yet to outweigh my wallet and renting a lift for the day.
I'm either too cheap or too foolish. Probably both.

Why is it that every year, some unexpected, unannounced change happens in the way the Parks and Rec, or some other department interacts with us? We have pretty strong support throughout the city, but things change, nobody tells us, and it becomes somewhat of a surprise. Last year, during set up, the mowing contractor mowed around our site markings, and we mowed our part of the park just before we set stuff up on top of it.

This year, we are being pushed to provide a firm last date available to mow. And once we have anything on the ground, the whole park we are setting up in will not be mowed again this year. Now to see if I can get them to mow it before Friday, since we have pretty much everything done that we can without driving fence posts..

jimswinder wrote:

Putting up my Mega Tree and 3D Star on top of the roof...

Ohhhh, so tempting...I can't do it..I can't say it...I won't say it...

I'm trying to follow Pete's lead and not make anymore smart a** remarks about Jim's mega-tree....

Backing away from the keyboard...moving onto the next thread....