Light-O-Rama Forums

Just Got My EDM transmitter can someone help me

Partyof9

Interesting, my transmitter (MBB E-4000) is about 3-4 feet from my computer, plus it shares the housing it's mounted in with a DC-MP3 Showtime Director, which is somewhat of a computer in a way, never had any issues with my MBB. Not even when it was mounted right next (less than 4 inches) from my computer. The only issue I ever encountered with my transmitter was when the antenna was mounted next to my BetaBrite LED sign on the power supply feed side, it corrupted the sign, making the sign look like the top 3/4 had stopped working. Moved the antenna to the opposite side and sign started working just fine. Other than that, I've had no problems with my MBB being very near my computer, no lack of transmission, static or anything like that.

I think the suggestion falls under the category of "best practices". I'm sure it decreases the risk of interference from the PC switching supply getting onto the transmitted audio. Some people would immediately know what went wrong if this happened. But if the person isn't familiar with identifying the problem, they could spend weeks posting until someone tells them to move it later.

rwertz wrote:

I think the suggestion falls under the category of "best practices". I'm sure it decreases the risk of interference from the PC switching supply getting onto the transmitted audio. Some people would immediately know what went wrong if this happened. But if the person isn't familiar with identifying the problem, they could spend weeks posting until someone tells them to move it later.

Yup Reg, I could not have said it as good as that. Bottom line "Your electron mileage may vary".

But Orville, for the record... while I agree that the Show director is a computer of sort (because it contains a processor) ... it is SUBSTANTIALLY different from a computer running a gigaHertz speeds with open busses that radiate energy at varying frequencies, lots of high speed unshielded signal lines, etc, etc. Much more probability of interferrence can occur with a transmitter near a computer.

Also, I have noted in my system that a higher quality shielded audio cable also reduced the hum going into my transmitter to now be not noticeable at all whereas with a cheaper cable, it was humming like a bumble bee.

Best Practice is the key.

RF signals from the computer could mix with the transmitter RF causing harmonics well outside the FM broadcast band potentialy causing interference to other Radio services.

I am sure that Orville would agree that if an Ambulance came to his apartment complex, and if their radios recieved harmonic interference that prevented them from establishing communication with the hospital, that the results would be bad.

So why take a shortcut, takeing a chance that might result in someones death, just for Christmas lights.

Anyone using a transmitter should always follow legitiment correct advice regarding Best Practice and separate their transmitter as far as possible from any other potential RF radiating equipment.

Only if they had specialized radio spectrum analyizers and can certify that the the harmonic beat frequencies that are generated do not fall on a frequency licenced to any fixed base or mobile entity would it be OK to place the transmitter next to a computer.

Besides, this thread is about the EDM transmitter, the MBB has nothing to do with it.