Light-O-Rama Forums

Laser Concerns

DownTown

If you want to experience the blindness yourself, do this:

1 - Go into your bathroom or other interior room that has NO windows. Close the door, and leave the lights off.

2 - Sit there for 30 mins. Notice how that little bit of light seeping in from under the door now makes everything look like 12 noon in the bathroom? Night vision is AWESOME!

3 - Take a flash picture of yourself, or set off a strobe light. The bathroom light won't do it, you need something bright and fast. Enjoy the pain and blindness for a while.

4 - Put your hands in your pockets. Without 'feeling' your way around or turning on the light, get to the door. Curse several times after stubbing your toe. The spots in front of your eyes sure are pretty though!

5 - Understand that the only danger you were in is bumping your head or toe. The guy in the cockpit however now has to figure out a way of not dying.

Here is another post. Look at the number of times it's happening.

Laser Incidents At LaGuardia Airport
Updated: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 7:07 PM EST
Published : Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 6:37 PM EST

By GLENN WILBURN

MYFOXNY.COM - The Federal Aviation Administration says two separate planes had a green laser shined at them just before landing Saturday night.

According to the FAA, the two planes landed safely and the pilots quickly alerted the control tower of the lasers.

The FAA said the first laser incident happened around 6:04 p.m. and involved Jetlink Express Flight 5978. The second incident involved United Airlines Flight 766.

"Safety of the traveling public is our absolute number-one priority. We will do everything we can to get the word out about how dangerous it is to point a laser at an aircraft. These incidents must stop," said U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood.

The FAA says this has been a problem nationwide.

This year, pilots reported 2,795 laser events through Oct. 20. Pilots have reported the most laser events in Phoenix (96), Philadelphia (95) and Chicago (83).

The FAA has created a website to make it easier for pilots and the public to report laser incidents.

The website also provides research on the dangers lasers can pose to pilots.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/laser-incidents-at-laguardia-airport-20111106-gjw#ixzz1d1vYiFeb

I was reading this yesterday sitting on a plane, and I'm really glad no one lasered our pilot!

Seriously, a jet engine and the lives of all the passengers onboard are enough to worry about.

Funny side note : I had no idea those cases the pilot carries had maps in it. I just figured it was clothes and his lunch.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

I hit the auto-pilot till I see again :shock:

Sure, for those of you that HAVE autopilot. That didn't come in my little 150 :P:P

iPads are a cost plus item.. At USAIr, 5000 pilots, at $500-$600/ea.. will be a dark day on the Sun before we get them... in reality, some smaller airlines are testing them. JetBlue is using them in a limited study in and out of JFK.. USAirways has been doing a -very- limited test with a EFB (Electronic Flight Bag), not Apple, on planes that go in/out of LaGuardia and Boston... but software problems plague the installs, as spikes happen when power transfers between ground/APU and aircraft generators.. so theres no quick fix in sight for that.. and those #^*&$%@!* pilots are actually ripping them off the frames because they think they know better.. damaging them beyond repair.

gizmomkr wrote:

TJ,

I heard they tested iPads as a replacment for paper maps, how do the pilots feel about that ?

Will your flight bag get smaller any time soon ?

Was it an iPad, or something made by Jep? I think I remember the electronic flight bag from Jeppesen (it's been a while since I've been up).