Light-O-Rama Forums

Screen freezes in sequence editor

Jim Hans

I have a relatively new computer running Win 7. Over the past year I created about 12 sequences on this computer using S2 with no issues. I downloaded and installed S3 and have done some editing of these sequences with no issues.

Last night I was working on my first new sequence using S3. Sequence editor worked great in building the sequence with one hitch. Like most of you, as I sequence I work on a section, hit the space bar to play, hit the space bar to stop, make corrections, etc. With my new sequence in S3 when I hit the space bar the song plays but every now and then the screen freezes (stops moving along the timing grid). The music keeps playing, the channel buttons on the left keep flashing as the channels turn on and off, but the screen freezes for 1-2 seconds and then jumps forward to where it should be in the timing grid???? Very annoying when you are trying to use this to mark timing marks for your sequences.

I have looked through this thread and have not seen this reported yet. During tis time I had no other programs open or running on the PC so it can't be a resource issue. Any ideas?

Are you using an MP3 or a WAV file?

If a MP3, is it set at a CBR (Constant Bit Rate)?

If not you can use Audacity to make it one...

Does it "pause" if you try playing the whole song and not a section?

It is an mp3 at constant bit rate. It happened with both complete play as well as with just playing portions.

• 1 year later...

You mentioned that the channel buttons keep flashing even when the grid is frozen... do they flash correctly, though? That is, at the time you expect them to?

One thing you might want to try (this is a shot in the dark) is to change your computer's graphics card's "hardware acceleration" setting. If it's on, turn it off. If it's off, turn it on. If that doesn't help, try it on and set very high, and on and set very low.

What kind of graphics card do you have?

Also, just as an experiment, you may want to turn off various things in the "Play" menu, like (for example) "Highlight Current Event", "Control Visualizer", "Vary Color of Channel Button Fonts", and so forth. If I remember correctly, "Control Holiday Lights Designer" is sometimes a bit resource-intensive, so if that's on (and you don't have Holiday Lights Designer) it may be an easy fix if it turns out that that's the culprit. Just guessing, though.