Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR sequence editor not showing channel grid when I open a sequence

ace_master

I was having issues with S3 freezing during a show, or if I switched from one LOR program to another (hardware to sequencer for example)... I uninstalled LOR, restarted, and then reinstalled LOR expecting everything to be peachy... but now every time I open a sequence for editing (or even start a new one), I get a white screen covering the entire channel grid. If I move windows around over this white part, it 'sticks' to it leaving a trail (as seen below).

I haven't had any problems with my computer before installing S3... Anyone else have this issue? how do I fix it?lorfreezing.jpg

When you reinstalled, did you also redownload? It is possible to have the download corrupted enough to create issues with the installation but not enough to prevent the installation from seeming to work.

When you installed, did you disable your antivirus software? Some of those programs can give installers real fits. For that matter, they can also make a mess of downloading the installer. (Norton, I'm looking at YOU!)

How long since you last ran a virus scan? Spyware scan? Defragmented your hard drive? Viruses and spyware can create all sorts of issues. A heavily fragmented drive can have the data scattered so badly that your programs can't use it efficiently. A newly installed program can be scattered so badly that Windows can't run it effectively.

You might also might want to consider downloading and running Memtest86+. It's free. Run a minimum of two complete passes; I recommend just letting it go overnight and seeing what it says in the morning. If any of your RAM modules are bad in any way, it'll find out and let you know.

I just went over all the stuff you suggested aurickle...

I have Kaspersky Pure security... I just disabled it, then uninstalled and redownloaded, and reinstalled LOR, and I got the exact same thing.
I then shut my computer down and swapped out the 2x2GB pair of Memory sticks I had installed for a 2x1GB pair. When I booted up and tried LOR again, I still got the white screen.

My computer is set to do defrag my C drive every Wednesday (just checked and it says all my drives were last defragged on Oct 26).

I'm grasping for straws here, but it looks something more like a display driver issue. Is there something in S3 that requires updated drivers or Windows dependencies?

I can say with confidence that I doubt the problem is a corrupt installation file. Although it was true a few years ago that you can get partially corrupt installers that still run, that is no longer the case with InstallShield. It has an embedded CRC value that is checked when it is run, the installer will quit and notify you if even one byte is wrong. Thus, you likely have a good installation file if it gets to the startup screen.

No sure where to focus your efforts other than something to do with display drivers. I'm sure some smart cookie will have some advice.

Have you tried edit/preferences//display preferences, and at the bottom, the Advanced Open GL settings tab? See if any of the pixel format options are working better?

This setting is not new with S3, but somewhere in the S2 chain...

-klb- wrote:

Have you tried edit/preferences//display preferences, and at the bottom, the Advanced Open GL settings tab? See if any of the pixel format options are working better?

This setting is not new with S3, but somewhere in the S2 chain...

Thank you so so much Kevin!
I went through the list of 'pixel formats, and continued to get a white box in the sample box as I went down the list... the I got to Pixel 33, and there was color!!!. I saved, closed, and reopened the sequence editor... and now sequences are displayed as normal :D.

I was going to start revamping my 2010 sequences this morning for my 2011 setup.. I feel like I just wasted a whole day, lol (just counted the days, and figured out that I only have 8 days off work between now and December!!!!:shock:).

It's good that it's working with manually setting the pixel format, but just a little warning: Manually choosing a pixel format might cause the Sequence Editor to use more CPU power than it has to, which in turn might cause it to be sluggish.

So, if you notice it being sluggish, you might want to try some of the other ways to resolve this problem. You can read about them here.