Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR power supply issue after power failure?

rwertz

We lost power thanks to the heavy snow. I wasn't here when the power went out. But I'm sure it wasn't a lightning hit, and I doubt it was an over-voltage condition.

After 10 hours the electric was restored. But 2 of my 4 CCRs were out there blinking at 1AM. I killed power to all the power feeds and brought them back up. But the problem persisted. A couple minutes after that, one CCR cleared up leaving just one blinking. While in the fault condition the CCR power supply led was sort of blinking once every couple seconds. Each time the power supply LED came on strong the CCR would blink.

This is my first year with CCR controllers and power supplies mounted outside, and this is the coldest it's been (32º F). Could there be a cold start issue with the supply or controller?

I have one spare controller / power supply to swap out in the AM if this doesn't clear up on it's own by then. But after that I'm out of spares. I hope the other CCR doesn't start acting up again.

Update:

After spending all day clearing out the downed branches from my yard I finally got around to revisiting the CCR issue. I powered up the CCR that would not clear up last night and it is working fine now. All is better.

I should be happy. But I'm concerned this issue could return in the future. This is the stuff animators have nightmares about (waking up and finding your display flipping out in the middle of the night).

It occurred to me that I still had the generator running when the CCRs were flipping out. But they were running on the main power from the panel box. The generator was running a heater and the TV / DVD using extension cords. It was not connected to the house power (accept it maybe had some kind of ground connection through the cable coax connected to the TV).

• The topic was locked