Light-O-Rama Forums

Enclosure too crowded

timmydatoolman

Looking for your opinions, wondering if this is going to be too crowded, with all the wires pushing aginst the the heat sinks, am I running a risk of melting the wires. One shot shows the box open and the other shows where the controller will sit when the door is closed.
2011-10-28170044.jpg
2011-10-28170022.jpg

what if there is any pressure on the lid when closed....like someone stepping on it accidentally? Metal to metal shorts is one thing to worrry about, constant pressure of the cords that with some movement may wear away insulation is another.

what about your cat-5s? you'll be making some pretty tight bends with those.

For the cost of one more enclosure, seems like it would be a safer bet to just put two in the existing enclosure and put number 3 in a separate enclosure.

IMOP, I wouldn't have all them in there. If your like me, and open and close your lids freakinly to check to see if the statues lights, you may encounter problems with loosening up the headers where the wires are connected, or pinching a Cat wire.

If your handy, fee free to make boxes out of scrap wood. Myself and others make some from wood, and never had a problem. I just put lots of paint on them, and on some I lay a piece of scrap pond liner over.

I wouldn't take the chance of shorting out three boards for the price of one more enclosure. You can make an enclosure out of a Tupperware container or any container that is water tight - just seal up the holes you cut in it.

Well unless I am seeing things, I think I counted 4 controllers in that one box. 1 on the door, 1 down low and 2 more above (1 on side wall and one on back wall).

I agree, just to much, esp the one on the door and the stress on the wires while opening and closing the door. I would remove that one and you might get away with the others. As to the wires melting. I dont know if the heat sinks would get that hot even under full load. But if your running LEDs. Then I would say that there is no chance of the heat sinks getting warm enough to do any harm.