Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 Freaking me out! (the bad way)

jstorms

I've been freaked out all day over what happened to me last night in the S3 software.

So turn back the clock to release. I downloaded S3, got the visualizer working and tuned, even played with the auto-sequencer a bit and was thinking "this S3 is great stuff!"

Next I moved into channel groups. I thought to myself "even better". I started a new sequence and imported my channel configuration from S2 (have a load of songs on S2 for this 2011 show). In the process I added a bunch of new groups, a new track, and then very happy with it all, I deleted my old "2010 Master" track from last year, my first year. My 2011 track was in my mind 'perfect'.

So the new sequence was awesome, so now I wanted to go spruce up one of the songs I sequenced in the spring. So I loaded up the other sequence, saved it with S3, then imported the new channel configuration. Then I hit play and my channels are are screwed up. I identified a few channels I could see were off (me thinks they might all be) and went into the channel config tool. Everything still matches my paper plan. So the rows must be off! ARGH! I don't know what happened. Any ideas?

I expect user error, but who is supposed to protect me from myself! :D

Freaking out.

if in your 2011 track you have:

Mini Tree Red
Mini Tree Green
Mini Tree Blue

as your first three channels

but in S3 you have them moved to, say channels 4, 5 and 6 and now your first three Channels are:

Mega Tree Red
Mega Tree Green
Mega Tree Blue...

and you import your new S3 Channel Configuration into your old 2011 Sequence

then your Mega Tree (Red, Green, Blue) will be playing your old Mini Tree channels...

make sense?

Is this what happened?

If so, you will need to open the old Sequence (S2) and then Open a NEW sequence and copy and paste from the old to the new (S3) matching the appropriate channels... (Mini Red to Mini Red, Mini Green to Mini Green etc.)

First off go to the windows Recycle Bin ans see if your deleted configuration is there.

Just do a restore on that file.

Second, if you added new channels in between old channels then you cannot import the new configuration file over the old one. Reason is the Config file is loaded top down in the order in the file, there is no look up to match channel # to channel #.

Solution is only add new channels to the bottom of track 1 only, then you can make additional tracks with old and new channels in the order you want them. Just use the Copy Channel to Track option.

Yeah what they said. Only looks like you are going to have to start over with one of last years sequences to make a new 2011 channel config. Or you will have to do lots of copy/pasting if you have more than one sequence.

Your 2010 channel configuration is still in your 2010 sequences that you have not messed with. Just open one of those and use that to start with, or export it.

I have ALL my channels in track one. I always duplicate this track and name it 2011 (the current year). I make ALL my changes and additions to this new 2011 track. Never delete a channel from this track. You can remove it, but don't delete it. Deleting the channel from one track will also delete it from the rest of the tracks.

Like has been said the channel arraignment in track one must be identical to the channel config being imported or it will get messed up. Like Dennis said if you add anything to track one ONLY add it to the very bottom, and NO channel rearranging in this track.

This importing channel configuration thing gets lots of people. It is hard to understand sometimes and can make a mess.:shock:

The work you did in the visualizer could possible be OK. All depends if you made any channel assignment changes.

Just for the record. The same mess up would have happened if you were going from a 2010 S2 sequence to a new channel configuration 2011 S2 sequence. To my knowledge nothing has changed in S3 as far as the channel configuration import/export goes.

Whew! Got it all figured out and everything is good again.

Just like people pointed out above.

So in my new sequence, the one with the channel groups, and more importantly the one where I deleted "track 1: Master 2010".

I exported the channel config from this, without "Master 2010", and loaded it into another sequence that *did* have "track 1: Master 2010". The Sequence editor does not load track by track, but instead just loads the whole file. It overwrote the "track 1: Master 2010" with "track 1: Master 2011".

So on my older song I just erase track 1, then import the channel config and its all fine.

I must be missing some information. I don't see how deleting your master 2010 track from your old sequences then importing your 2011 config worked correctly.:?

What was your track 2 (now track 1) after you deleted your master 2010 track?

Glad it worked for you though.

When I removed the Master 2010 track from the source sequence and not the destination sequence it made the two apples and oranges and it overwrote what was there.

Once I had both sequences with the first track the same it all worked out. It mapped over fine. I had other tracks and they all seemed to work themselves out.

I also had to move my channel groups from the first track to somewhere else.

I'm glad it worked out too.

jstorms wrote:

When I removed the Master 2010 track from the source sequence and not the destination sequence it made the two apples and oranges and it overwrote what was there.

Once I had both sequences with the first track the same it all worked out. It mapped over fine. I had other tracks and they all seemed to work themselves out.

I'm confused...but that is nothing new... :shock:

jimswinder wrote:

jstorms wrote:

I'm confused...but that is nothing new... :shock:

Not sure if this will help....

This is my 3rd year with LOR : )

1st year 32 channels.

Last year 112 so I started fresh and used new songs.

This year I have a few more channels that I added to the end.

So far so good.

Wife says she missed some of the songs from the first year...

Ummm no time to redo them all

So I had a look at 2009

Channel 1 Red Roof

Channel 2 Red window

Channel 3 Red bedroom window

and so on

Those 3 channels are scattered all over in 2010/11

Red Roof Contoller 7 channel 2

Red Window Contoller 3 channel 8

Red Bedroom Contoller 12 channel 16

So there was no way to import the config to make it work.

So I created another track

Where I copied the channels in put them in the same order as the 2009 setup.

Then saved that config as 2009 Convert

Next I created a new sequence with first song using the 2009 Convert , opened the 2009 sequence and copied everything from the 2009 sequence and pasted it into the new track.

Now the sequence works with new config file!

this works if you are using a bunch of sequences done by someone else as well!