Light-O-Rama Forums

IDMX 1000 problem

SteveMaris

Hey,
I am trying to set up my idmx and cannot get the hardware utility to find it. I just upgraded to advanced software. The status light goes from blinking to steady on when I pull up hardware utility. Tried refreshing numerous times, tried resetting the IDMX, tried rebooting the computer, it wont show up. I read in the instructions to manually enter the hex number but do not know what that means. Thank you.

SteveMaris wrote:

Hey,
I am trying to set up my idmx and cannot get the hardware utility to find it. I just upgraded to advanced software. The status light goes from blinking to steady on when I pull up hardware utility. Tried refreshing numerous times, tried resetting the IDMX, tried rebooting the computer, it wont show up. I read in the instructions to manually enter the hex number but do not know what that means. Thank you.

Try setting the MAX ID Units to a higher number. it will go to F0. It will take some time to scan that many ID numbers, it should find it then.

Your other controllers are being found? You maxed out the max ID to search? The iDMX normally defaults to the top 16 legal addresses...

i've always had mixed luck with my iDMX's for some reason as well. try connecting it to the USB adapter all by itself and set the ID using the Set New Unit ID dialog on the left side of the hardware utility. Pick a number and choose Set Unit ID and see if it comes back successful. It will try to force anything it finds to that ID, so connect only the 1 iDMX unit. After that cycle power on the unit and try finding it in the HW utility. (This number you entered is the Hex ID of the iDMX, just like you set an LOR controller to an ID). So choose an ID that does not conflict with your LOR controllers.

one note, are you powering it directly or via the USB adapter. I had issues once where the USB adapter was having trouble powering it. I plugged it into a power supply and it worked much better.

As for manually entering the Hex number.... i believe you can enter it in the "Select unit to Configure" Dropdown box at the top of the hardware utility.

I have seen numerous iDMX's get confused like this. Not sure what happens, but here is what I have found fixes the issue:

First thing. Attach only the iDMX and re-ID it back to the factory setting of E0. Make sure you have the "Old Unit ID" set to "Any Unit".

Then update the firmware to the latest, 1.41 and then ID it to what you need. Remember to do this in something that does not end in 0(zero) for full DMX512.

This seems to get them back and behaving properly, I have had this happen to mine and no less than 5-6 other iDMX users.

Thanks for the tips, zman...

I see that 1.41 is the latest firmware version on my PC for the iDMX, but the LOR website firmware section says that v1.03 is the latest...Interesting.

I need to re-address my iDMX for this year, so I'll follow your tips....

Randy

Thank you again for the replies. I got it! I am updating the firmware as we speak.
One more question.
I will be using 2 pc 16's and 4 Lynx. What would you recommend the setup be. Have the IDMX off the computer first? Or 2 LOR boards off the computer and then the Lynx after the IDMX.
I guess my worry is how long the cat 5 cable can be coming from the LOR board to the IDMX and then back out to the LYNX. I would like to keep the IDMX in the garage and not out in the elements. Any tips would be appreciated, and thank you again.

If you get a separate power supply for the iDMX, you can put it anywhere in the LOR chain you want.

Or, if you can keep it less that 50 feet from the powered devices to either side, you should be OK.. For example, less than 50 feet from a USB-485B, and 50 feet from a CTB16PC, it will draw about half its power from each, and should have plenty of voltage available to run smoothly.

• 1 month later...

I Need help with my iDMX. I can not get it to work my Lynx controllers. I have the idmx set at controller 3 with software vs 1.41 and using S3.0.2. First year I have tried to use the iDMX.

The LOR hardware window sees the iDMX, the iDMX statis light is on solid. the Data LED is blinking. When I hook it to my Lynx express the DATA LED in the lynx is on. I click on console in the hardware menu, select unit id to 03 and turn all 16 channels on and off and noting happens in the Lynx. I have tried 2 different Lynx units and nothing I get no lights. The Lynx is set to DMX channel 001. I have tried resetting the iDMX id back to E0. then changed it back to 03 nothing. I did notice that E0 shows 16 units and id 03 only shows 1 iDMX unit.

Any ideas would be great.

lightingnut wrote:

I Need help with my iDMX. I can not get it to work my Lynx controllers. I have the idmx set at controller 3 with software vs 1.41 and using S3.0.2. First year I have tried to use the iDMX.

The LOR hardware window sees the iDMX, the iDMX statis light is on solid. the Data LED is blinking. When I hook it to my Lynx express the DATA LED in the lynx is on. I click on console in the hardware menu, select unit id to 03 and turn all 16 channels on and off and noting happens in the Lynx. I have tried 2 different Lynx units and nothing I get no lights. The Lynx is set to DMX channel 001. I have tried resetting the iDMX id back to E0. then changed it back to 03 nothing. I did notice that E0 shows 16 units and id 03 only shows 1 iDMX unit.

Any ideas would be great.

How is you XLR to Cat5 cable wired? This is very critical to get the polarity correct?

Also, on the iDMX, when the address assigned ends in 0, it goes into legacy mode, appearing as 16 controllers of 16 channels. When you have an address ending in anything else, it goes into standard mode of 1 controller address with 512 channels. Legacy mode is useful if being driven with older versions of the software that only supported up to 16 channels per device.

lightingnut wrote:

Its a standard cat5 cable brand new 7 feet long. Not the cross over cable.

As KLB said how did you wire the Cat5 to the XLR?

What wires to what pins.

The idmx is set to id 03.
The Lynx is getting its DMX signal from the DMX out plug on the iDMX. I am using the cpoint XLR to RJ45 adapter. The cat5 is a standard cat5 no wires have been changed. Looking at the card that came with the XLR to RJ45 adapter shows XLR pin 2 goes to data- pin 2 on RJ45 cord. XLR pin 3 goes to data+ pin 1.

I am going to try and run a real DMX fixture using the iDMX and see if it will make the fixture do someting.

Interesting,
I checked the iDMX on a Chauvet Colorado fixture. Works fine in the LOR test Console. In the LOR test console I have unit id set to 03, controller type set to iDMX1000-DMX and channel mode set to extended circuit ids.

Works when setting controler type to Stamdard controler, iDMX1000 LOR% and iDMX1000-DMX.

This is strange, I now tried the iDMX connected to the Lynx using the same cable. and the LED of each channel come on when I move the silder up for each channel.

• The topic was locked