Light-O-Rama Forums

Advice: NOT Technical

ericnagel

Aside from "you can never start too early", what's some advice you can leave for the rest of us? I have some tips:

• Take video of your entire show. This is my 3rd year, and I only have video of three songs from the past 2 years :D
    I have a track that explains the process, the show, and highlights various parts of the display. Many people said that was their favorite part of the show last year.
    Someone else said leave all the lights on in-between shows, to allow others (and yourself) to take photos of the house.

Any other non-technical tips?

Think first!
Taking the time to plan far ahead can save you a ton of work later on. It also helps you work out kinks as you are setting up things and as to how long everything will take.
Label, label, label. I have 2 silver sharpies that I carry around all the time that I am setting things up to make notes or number connections on things. I also use a label maker to make markers for things such as blowmold connections and such.
Carry a small pocket camera around as you set up and take a lot of pictures of your setup and controllers. It helps if you have a problem after there is a foot of snow on the ground and makes setup faster next year as well.
I like to make up master cables as much as possible as well. I use a lot of zip cord with vampire plugs for things, but I also have a bunch of 18 awg - 8 conductor cable that I use as well. Since I have 4 colors of lights on all the windows, doors, roof, and decks; the 8 conductor cable makes a nice single run from a controller to each window/door light set.

Put down the lights and controllers and stop thinking about a display, and slowly walk away whistling like you never saw anything.:D

DevMike wrote:

Take the video the FIRST week the lights go up. If you procrastinate you'll never do it....

I agree with this. PLUS. If you have new LEDs you got in a pre-buy or something, and have luck like I do with them the first week is the only time ALL your lights will work.:shock:

DevMike wrote:

Take the video the FIRST week the lights go up. If you procrastinate you'll never do it....

Or your weber tree falls before you get the video. I had problems with snow banks in the way last year.

-try to have the display set up before the opening day to be able to take videos without the crowd or cars in front.
-take a lot of pictures to remember where to put things the next year.
- when I store things I write for example : blue LED FOR pergola...
-start early (I start mid october because in North-East France it rains a lot in November)

Arnoldc wrote:

When you think something will take a hour, tripple it

Same applies when talking to your spouse about how much it will cost. She will be so proud of you when you did it ALL and more for less than expected.:P

jstorms wrote:

Never do a TV interview.

Why not? Just wondering...

I send video of my display to the 3 major network news stations here in Buffalo, and they usually air what I send them (no interview)

Paul Roberson wrote:

Put down the lights and controllers and stop thinking about a display, and slowly walk away whistling like you never saw anything.;)

420px-Thumbs_up.jpg

Allow for lots of time and then some!
For example my mini mega tree has taken 2 full weekends to set up when I thought I could do 2 in one weekend.

Take your video camera out during the day and do a detailed walk through just for you. talk to yourself about the pain in the neck way you had to mount the widget and how you wish you would have done x different. anything that comes to mind as you see elements.
Next October when you look at it you will be amazed how much stuff you forgot and may be able to change some of the things that did not turn out the way you wanted them to this year.

If you put stuff on your roof...DON'T FALL OFF :D Four hours in the emergency that could have been spent working in display items, and the huge amount of pain just ain't worth it. But remember, LOR users bounce. (I did, just a half inch or so) :D

testraub wrote:

If you put stuff on your roof...DON'T FALL OFF :D
Put your inflatables close to the house to cushion your fall off the roof. :)