Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 - Wishlist - Grouping functions

coasterbp

First off, let me say how much I love S3. Love the new features, especially groups.

I would like to throw something out there that I think would be beneficial to the groups function:

Right clicking on a channel should also bring up an "Add to Group" or "Remove from Group" function so that if I want to edit a previous group, I don't have to Degroup it to add in the channels that I want to add....

Or is this already in there and I'm missing it....

-=CoasterBP

Could you explain the issue a little more? You can just slide a channel up or down into a new position. This works for non-groups and groups and groups within groups. To add you select insert channel or device and it goes in that spot.

Oh I see! I knew that you could drag and drop channels to reorder them, I just didn't know that it would work with groups as well! Thanks for the info!

-=CoasterBP

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Could you explain the issue a little more? You can just slide a channel up or down into a new position. This works for non-groups and groups and groups within groups. To add you select insert channel or device and it goes in that spot.

It would still be nice though...especially for those who have HUNDREDS of channels..and the channel you want to add is #500 and the group you want to add it to is a few hundred channels above it...especially since you can't drag the channel past the top of the page (won't scroll when dragging items).

I have 1200 channels in one layout. When I collapse all the groups, I have about half a screen. Groups have made it much easier to move stuff around.

-klb- wrote:

I have 1200 channels in one layout. When I collapse all the groups, I have about half a screen. Groups have made it much easier to move stuff around.

I agree...ONCE you get them INTO the groups...I (and I think coasterbp) was talking about GETTING them into the groups...

I've occasionally created groups of stuff to move someplace else, and then grouped the stuff in between. Move the group, then degroup both groups.

jimswinder wrote:

ItsMeBobO wrote:

It would still be nice though...especially for those who have HUNDREDS of channels..and the channel you want to add is #500 and the group you want to add it to is a few hundred channels above it...especially since you can't drag the channel past the top of the page (won't scroll when dragging items).

You can drag past the top (or bottom) of the page if your mouse has a scroll wheel.

Also, here's an alternative that you might find faster:

http://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/MoveToGroupViaTemporaryTrack.swf

bob wrote:

You can drag past the top (or bottom) of the page if your mouse has a scroll wheel.

did not know that...don't use the wheel enough I guess!!

Thanks Bob!!

bob wrote:

Yeah..that works IF you have less than 10 channels in a group so when you expand the group the channel is right there.....try it with HUNDREDS of channels in a group!!! :P

I want LESS clicks...not more!!! LOL

But thanks for the idea...

Or a simple right click and then a quick click on "Add Channel to Group..." then select the group you want it to go to....

Thats what I was looking for. Since I only have 64 channels, dragging and dropping is pretty easy for me, but now I understand what a lot of other people must be going through that have 100s of channels... Maybe my idea wasn't so goofy after all!

-=CoasterBP

coasterbp wrote:

Or a simple right click and then a quick click on "Add Channel to Group..." then select the group you want it to go to....

Thats what I was looking for. Since I only have 64 channels, dragging and dropping is pretty easy for me, but now I understand what a lot of other people must be going through that have 100s of channels... Maybe my idea wasn't so goofy after all!

-=CoasterBP

Not goofy at all!!!:D

Right click "move channel" then a drop down channel list to select where we want the channel moved to.:D

bob wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
ItsMeBobO wrote:

Also, here's an alternative that you might find faster:

http://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/MoveToGroupViaTemporaryTrack.swf

Bob

This has me confused. Why when you deleted the 2nd track, did the first track recognize the change you made in channel locations? Did it only make the change because you deleted the 2nd track.

Or to repeat, why did changing channel order in one track effect a different track?

Steve

Bob Never mind.......I watched the video again..............I think I have it..........you moved, not copied the channel to a second track............... had me very worried about the relationship between channel location from track to track.