Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR powering motors

T. Bennett

I am having an issue with a motor on a prop I built for Halloween, so I thought I would come to the experts and ask for input.

Background: I am using a motor, low RPM, circular motion motor (5-7rpm) for a prop. I ran an animation sequence tonight, that was just for the lights. I have the power for the motor (a DC motor, wired with an AC adapter wall wart) wired to a channel on a controller. In the sequence, that channel either gets full power or zero power, no fades/shimmers or anything of the sort.

After running for about 3 hrs, I went out to check on things and I had two issues:
1) I had a strobe ticking (still scratching my head on this)
2) My motor had stopped working. When i move it, it does 1 revolution and stops in the same place. If I move it, it will do 1 rev, and then stop again (in the same place)

So I am not certain what is causing either of the issues, but looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.

Timothy

LOR discourrages the use of "Inductive Loads"
I dont run motors, but I do run several transformers with my setup, and it has worked fine. My devices are verry low amperage.
Anywy, I think the BEST thing to do, is use the chanel to trigger a relay, and let the relay complete the circuit to the motor power.

It also sounds like the motor may be burning out - stopping in a particular place in the rotation is a sign of that. This COULD be caused by the mechanical load of the prop on the motor.

The strobe could be a channel stuck on (or are you saying you HEARD it ticking ?)

About the stobe,
I hear it ticking when it turns on. It is a string of five strobes, and one of them is audibly (across the street able to hear), ticking....

Whose strobes are you using? Mine r pretty loud. I can "hear" them all going off at about 15-20 feet away and sometimes more
I'm usig the Christmas light show strobes

I also am using the Christmas light show ones. All of them ( I have 15) are good, except the one that "ticks" really loud, (compared to the others). It still lights, so that is good, but because it's different, it just concerned me.

Hmm that Is a little strange that it's louder than the rest... Mine r all pretty much the same as far as the noise goes. I did have 1 out of the 25 I ordered last year that was faulty. Didn't even light up.