Light-O-Rama Forums

100' Extension Cord to LOR CTB16-PC

jstorms

Is there any problem running a 100' extension cord to power a CTB16-PC?

I know that long extension cords from the controller to LED lights can cause flickering. But are there any issues running 100' to the controller knowing that I have to stay within the Amp limit of the extension cord.

The only problem is the drop in (voltage/amps/watts?) you get with the longer cords - my electrician friend explained it to me once and I'm sure someone here can give the details. However, the issue for me was that I had a 100' cheaper Target cord plugged into a 15 amp circuit, but the circuit was tripping whenever I had I think 12 amps on the cord. He had me upgrade to a heavy-gauge cord (it was either 12 or 14, but thick) because it wouldn't lose so much (volt/amp/watt). Worked great thereafter.

james campbell wrote:

I don't know if that is accurate, I found this cord online at wal mart 16 gauge 100 foot and it handles 13 amps

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16-3-Orange-Cord-100/16795316

the chart says only 5??

There is a difference between what is safe for the cord, which will be 13A, no matter what the length of the cord, and what is safe for the appliances plugged into it.

Some kinds of loads, on long cords, in a gauge that is OK for short cords, will kill the appliance on a longer cord. Many motors make less power, and draw more current when run on inadequate cords. This causes the motor to over heat, and may cause short out, as the heat breaks down the insulation.

Lighting loads usually are not as voltage sensitive, in that they get dim, and yellow instead of failing, but I believe we have seen cases of controllers resetting mid show, because they went under voltage, from too much current, on too long a cord.

That said, I have run a fairly loaded controller on at least 200 feet of 12/3 cord. Now, at the same location, I have some 150' runs that are 10/3 instead.