Light-O-Rama Forums

Best Way to Test New DMX Setup

Powers_Ronald

I finally have everything I need to start testing the DMX settings on my display, but not sure where to start. I have S3 installed, purchased a Enttec DMX USB Pro, built 6 SE Rainbow brains and 24 SE spot/flood lights. Before I just add everything, is there some hints/guide on testing the differnet parts within the setup?

This is the first time I have used DMX and it seems confusing compaired to the LOR settup.

Thanks,

Ron

I have S3 running and the CommListener has found my Enttec DMX Pro. I set the Rainbow Brain to DMX address 1 (all on but pin 1), set up a sequence with the DMX universe 1 (defined as my USB Pro) , added a device 1 to the universe 1, and set the lights to on. When I run the sequence, nothing.

Any suggestions?

I have S3 running and the CommListener has found my Enttec DMX Pro. I set the Rainbow Brain to DMX address 1 (all on but pin 1), set up a sequence with the DMX universe 1 (defined as my USB Pro) , added a device 1 to the universe 1, and set the lights to on. When I run the sequence, nothing.

Any suggestions?

In the Network Preferences dialog, where you selected your adapter as being universe 1, did you change the "Protocol" dropdown box to say "ENTTEC DMX USB Pro" rather than "Raw DMX"? The former is what's required for that type of adapter.

Bob, Thanks for the help. No, these are all new components (which makes it frustrating). Anyway, I think I have the issue taken care of. I built 6 boards, and of course the first 2 I picked had issues. The rest of them worked perfectly with S3 (thanks LOR). With a working model, I was able to trace down most of the issues. RED is not working on one channel and GREEN on a different channel. The rest should be easy to trace down.

When in doubt, use the default Utility that came with the Enttec device. It can turn on/off DMX channels. That can verify your connections, both to the dongle, and to the lights/controllers. Then you can tackle any issues with how S3 changes things, knowing that your connections/controllers are OK.

Just some suggestions from someone who has done it before....both on a stage and in the yard.

• The topic was locked