Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm Officially Confused

caniac

pulled a sequence I acquired elsewhere into the Sequence Editor and it seems to save it as a .lms file and a .lms.lcs file and a .lms.bak. Now I assume the .bak is a backup but what is with the .lcs and why is there a tiny padlock on all three?

Yes, .bak is backup. Every time you resave a file, the Sequence Editor automatically makes a copy of the existing file (before your changes) to *.bak. Be warned, though: If there already is a *.bak, it throws the existing *.bak away before making the new *.bak, so this is a minimal form of backup. You'd be wise to back up your files yourself periodically.

The .lcs file is a "compressed" version of the sequence. It's automatically created whenever you save your sequence. It contains only enough information to play the sequence, and is optimized for loading speed. It is used by the Show Player, so that loading takes less time during your shows. You can read more about compressed sequences here.

The lock icon on a file is unrelated to Light-O-Rama. It's a Windows feature. I believe it means that the files cannot be accessed by other user accounts on your computer, only by your user account.