Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitters available?

petek157

Are the FM transmitters that are listed on the site available for sale?? I just placed the order for my first ever show system (32 Channels) and the only piece that I know for now that I need is the FM Transmitter.

In looking into the EDM I see that you have to assemble different parts of the board. I have in the past did a little electronic soldering, is this something that a very amateur can do?

Thanks,
Peter

The soldering consists of attaching the power socket to the board. Three solder points and you are done. It will probably take longer to get the iron up to temp than it will take you to solder the transmitter.

petek157 wrote:

In looking into the EDM I see that you have to assemble different parts of the board. I have in the past did a little electronic soldering, is this something that a very amateur can do?

Thanks,
Peter

I honestly could have had my 7 yr old do it. I have soldered only 2 times in my life before (literally 2 wires together), and poorly at that! No regrets on my part with this though. I trusted what others here had said that it was ridiculously easy to "assemble" this unit (assemble makes it sound like more than it is). All EDM's require some assembly. Well, EDM took the least assembly required approach. Have to solder 1 single part, and it isn't even a tough connection since basically all you have to do is let the solder fill the holes where the part attaches (see page 6 of this manual for great pictures http://www.edmdesign.com/docs/EDM-TX-RDS.pdf )

That is all the soldering required--pretty hard to mess up. After that, just have to plug in 2 computer chips on the board (just have to press them into a slot--no soldering). This whole process took me maybe 5 minutes, and 3 of that was waiting for my cheapo soldering tool to heat up and another 1.5 minutes to triple check the instructions! I have been overly pleased with this EDM transmitter. The case is metal and makes the transmitter feel very solid/rugged. I just used the test wire antenna that came with the unit as-is, and the sound is crystal clear and range extends through most of my neighborhood.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my EDM-LCD-CS-EP. Are there instructions online for these or is it a wing it type of thing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

petek157 wrote:

I just received my EDM-LCD-CS-EP. Are there instructions online for these or is it a wing it type of thing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

Here are some instructions for the one I bought sveral years ago. Will be very similar

Attached files EDM-TX-LCD.pdf

Jumping in here. Probably not the proper thread but here goes... I bought the FM transmitter, wired it in without any issues but can't get it send a signal much further that 10-12' away from the antenna (sp?). I would like to send a signal 100' or so. Currently the wire is run across two windows. Would it work better if I ran the wire outside the house? I'm still going to run speakers outside (we have a fair amount of walkers who watch the show)but I don't want to blast the entire neighborhood for the full music effect.

I am asuming you're using the EDM with the RCA antenna jack.. is the wire antenna anywhere near metal window frames? Was it cut any amount? Is the siding of your houes metal? If you can get it up high, either out the window, or the highest room in the house helps a lot. I'm not sure where Red Lion PA is (I'm from NJ) but is there a ham radio or 2-way radio store, or Radio Shack near? The ham radio store or 2-way shop would have options for purchasing an antenna for you to use..

Conversely, you can build a ground plane antenna out of an SO-239 connector and some coat hangers.. Get the SO-239 from Radio Shack (abt $4), and some .. RG58 (or Mini-8) coax.. 25' might be enough. You can find it with connectors already on it..

Here are a couple links to building a ground plane antenna.. it's reeeeeally easy!!!

http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

http://www.qsl.net/wrav/2mground.htm