Light-O-Rama Forums

Want my music to play outside using computer speakers

Linda

I have a transmitter so people can hear the music from their cars, but last year several people got out of their cars and stood on the sidewalk to watch the show. I had a stero on the porch and put my computer speakers outside the window but the sound didn't reach far enough without turning my computer speakers up all the way and blaring us out of the house since I have my show computer in our office. This year I took some cheap (but loud) speakers and experimented with them. I cut the speaker wire and spiced an extra 20 or so feet so they would extend out into the yard further, but I could barely hear the music from the speakers with the speakers turned all the way up after doing that. I'd like to use computer speakers so we don't have the music playing inside the house. (I don't mind, but my husband does!) Help!

If you plug into your Headphone Jack on your computer, it should default to that output and not play through your computer speaker...

if it is, then you need to edit your Audio Outputs from your Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices

EDIT:

Just reread your note...sounds like maybe you have reversed the polarity of the speakers wires if they worked fine before you added the extra 20' to them...

EDIT:

Just reread it AGAIN...getting confused in my old age... are you wanting to use your computer speakers or the cheap (but loud) ones you got...or are they one and the same? :(

Linda, I am thinking you will need an amp to boost up the power to the speakers. What I am doing is putting a cheap radio close to the center point of my display, but hidden, and having the speakers within a few feet of the radio.

I hadn't thought of that but I may have to do that if I can't use computer speakers. I bought a set of speakers on Craig's list. They have two small speakers and a bigger unit that they plug in to (I don't know if that's an amp or not :(), but they are digital and I have an analog sound card. I found a usb thing on ebay that's supposed to allow you to use digital speakers but it hasn't come in yet.

I said this in a similar post about getting the sound to "the people"...

Why is it we spend "thousands and thousands" on the visual aspect of the display, but then revert to "cheap speakers" to handle the audio part?

Visual is only 50% of the display...sound is the other 50%.

Without one or the other being the best quality, you are not giving your "customers" the full experience I think you really want to give them.

Buying decent Outdoor speakers is NOT that big of an expense, compared to the other expenses of putting on a great display.

I got me a set of Polk Outdoor speakers last year for around $200...similar to these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-Atrium-5-White-Pr-Open-Box-All-Weather-Indoor-Outdoor-Loudspeaker-/160657655230?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2567f145be

But I have just as much (if not more) foot traffic as I do drive up traffic.

Just my opinion... :(

I thought about getting outdoor speakers but I don't really want to use a stereo. I want to use computer speakers so I don't hear the sound coming out of the computer in my house.

Linda wrote:

I thought about getting outdoor speakers but I don't really want to use a stereo. I want to use computer speakers so I don't hear the sound coming out of the computer in my house.

I don't use a stereo (at least a stereo "receiver" to tune to my fm station)...just a inexpensive stereo amp to power the speakers.

Have a "Y" coming out of my Headphone Jack...one set of lines to my transmitter, the other to the amp... so no music in the house.

My transmitter is a pci card that fits inside the computer. I have a Y plugged into the speaker jack with one going to the transmitter and the other going to my speakers. I don't have an amp yet so I can't try it the way you do it, but would I need to use the headphone jack or the speaker jack to plug the amp into?

I put speakers outside for foot traffic in addition to the FM transmitter. One thing to be careful of. I have my transmitter on one of the channels (so it comes and and off with the show), but the music I was playing outside was just on an outlet.

When that transmitter turns off it makes for some very loud static. I keep the volume on the music low enough that it doesn't bug the neighbors, but the static was very loud.

My solution was to go with an inexpensive amp from bestbuy, they make a cord that goes from my laptop speaker outlet to the CD/Aux of the amp and I ran indoor/outdoor speakers off of that.

The amp/receiver was like $100 and the speakers $30pair. the laptop cable was $2-3.

Linda wrote:

My transmitter is a pci card that fits inside the computer. I have a Y plugged into the speaker jack with one going to the transmitter and the other going to my speakers. I don't have an amp yet so I can't try it the way you do it, but would I need to use the headphone jack or the speaker jack to plug the amp into?

I would think either one would work...try them both and sees which one works best for you...

though I think if you use the speaker jack, your computer speaker (if you have one) would still be active...

Linda,
A solution that, may be overlooked, is large speakers from old stereo
systems.
Frequently at garage sales, I have noticed many people are getting rid of their
old stereo systems. Usually the systems have the turntables, amps, speakers etc.
with at least two speakers and sometimes more. I use only the speakers and amp
and discard the rest. I am currently using 6 large speakers around the yard. It does have a great effect. Usually you can get the old systems or speakers, very cheap.
I usually pay $5.00 or less for speakers, and complete systems about $30.00.

With a "Y" coming out of computer, plug into amp, and your computer speakers. Run speaker wire from amp to outside speakers.
Just unplug your comp speakers or if you have volume control on comp speaker, turn
it down or "off", if you don't want music in your residence.
To protect from the elements, I wrap the outside speakers with a plastic Christmas wrapping paper, to give the appearance of a gift box. Blends in very nicely with displays.

GaryBo wrote:

Linda,
A solution that, may be overlooked, is large speakers from old stereo
systems.
Frequently at garage sales, I have noticed many people are getting rid of their
old stereo systems. Usually the systems have the turntables, amps, speakers etc.
with at least two speakers and sometimes more. I use only the speakers and amp
and discard the rest. I am currently using 6 large speakers around the yard. It does have a great effect. Usually you can get the old systems or speakers, very cheap.
I usually pay $5.00 or less for speakers, and complete systems about $30.00.

With a "Y" coming out of computer, plug into amp, and your computer speakers. Run speaker wire from amp to outside speakers.
Just unplug your comp speakers or if you have volume control on comp speaker, turn
it down or "off", if you don't want music in your residence.
To protect from the elements, I wrap the outside speakers with a plastic Christmas wrapping paper, to give the appearance of a gift box. Blends in very nicely with displays.

Thanks...........There have been a lot of good ideas posted!

Well, I played around with different speakers hooked to the computer and wasn't happy (read that as "my wife wasn't happy"). So, I bought an outdoor, weather proof radio and put it under one of the decorations. It comes on with a timer that runs my yard sign. I just broadcast to the radio in the yard.

I have a dedicated stero hooked up to my computer for my light display I have a wire ran outside to outdoor speakers which I have under my porch which is can be heard from the street the proplem is you can hear the base in the house because it travels through the porch I might move the speakers for next year

I use a Y cord from the headphone socket of the PC - FM Transmitter on 89.2FM

I then use an outdoor weatherproof Stereo Radio with built in speakers and tune it to 89.2 - Has a beautiful full bodied sound.
Something similar to this, and just make it a bit more waterproof.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAKITA-BMR100-JOB-SITE-AM-FM-WORKSITE-RADIO-240V-BRAND-NEW-BOX-/320772158252?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4aaf82b32c#ht_1374wt_1396

the only problem I have had is having the speakers up too loud. apparently what is audible to me is loud to others, go figure!! lol

Last year I bought the cheapest set of powered computer speakers I could fine. I think they were $8.00 so I didn't care if they were stolen although I'd have a video recording of the theft. Cheap audio cable connected them to the show PC.

Since they were going to sit at the edge of my property and a public sidewalk, the wattage just needed to be high enough to be heard but low enough to not cause my neighbors headaches. I use a FM transmitter so the sound was just for people out of their cars or walking by.

Hearing the music all night long during the shows wasn't desired so I used a lamp socket AC outlet convertor connected to an inexpensive outdoor motion activated lamp holder mounted to some scrap wood. The timer was set to 5 minutes. When someone walked by, the music would come on and continued as long as they stayed around. Once they left, the music stopped.

I covered the whole contraption with a white trash bag which it really didn't need since it was under a bush, behind my picket fence.

Collectively, I think I spent less than $30 on the whole setup.