Light-O-Rama Forums

16 DMX Universe performance question

heystew

Has anyone tried a very large setup with the new DMX capability? I am looking to add the full 16 universes to my existing setup and looking for any feedback before i make the financial commitment to it.

Setup would now include:
- 500 Channels of traditional LOR controllers on 2 networks
- 5 DMX Universes on 2 networks using iDMX's (~ 2500 channels)
- 16 DMX universes via DMX control (RS485 or Entec)(~8000 channels)

If so several questions:
1. Have you had good luck with very large USB hubs or several smaller ones cascaded?
2. Have you tried a CAT5 usb extender to minimize the number of home runs needed
3. I assume that the Entec Pro would be advantageous in this case once S3 supports the adding processing it can provide (although it would be great if i could just use 16 of the RS-485 adapters)

It might also be a good idea to contact LOR directly. They have done several very large commercial venues, so they may have the answers to your questions for something so large.

I took this line from section 5.3.4.2.2.7 Network Preferences of the help file. I read this to mean I could do more than 16 total. Maybe I was reading into it what i wanted to see.

"Light-O-Rama can control hardware on all of these ports (as well as on Digital IO cards and BSOFT Digital IO cards, which do not use serial ports) simultaneously."

So I guess the question becomes. Does the limit of 16 networks include all network types.. or is it a per network type limitation.

thanks,
Dave

An Advanced license can use up to 16 DMX universes, regardless of what other networks it may or may not use.

Regarding the processing advantage of the ENTTEC Pro: Please note that the current LOR release (version 3.0.2) does not take advantage of this. However, we intend to start doing so as of the next release.

bob wrote:

Regarding the processing advantage of the ENTTEC Pro: Please note that the current LOR release (version 3.0.2) does not take advantage of this. However, we intend to start doing so as of the next release.

If I read this correctly, there is NO advantage (in this release) to using the ENTTEC Pro?

I don't know enough about it to say if that's true -- for example, it's got two DMX ports, one male and one female, rather than the Open's single female port -- but with regards to CPU usage, yes, there is no advantage to using a Pro in LOR version 3.0.0 or 3.0.2.

If you do use a Pro, though, and upgrade to 3.0.4 (or whatever the next version turns out to be), the improvement will take effect automatically without you needing to do anything.

• The topic was locked