Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Test Results

KenL_MCSE

This weekend after downloading s3. I had to modify all my sequences to use DMX Universe 1. I hooked up 1 CTB16PC controller, 1 Enttec Pro and 217 DMX channels. The results were perfect. All the RGB lights dimmed, chased, shimmered and twinkled just like they were supposed to.

Nice job on the addition of DMX support!

Any one else test their DMX items yet?

I'll be testing my DMX equipment tomorrow as all the assorted pieces (Enttec USB open and 5 pin to 3 pin adapters) all arrive today and tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

-=CoasterBP

Got the Enttec USB Pro hooked up, and working in no time.

Works great, just followed the directions in the help files for setup. I set it up on Universe 1

It is working well. I did not realize how much work the 256 individual LEDs would be to sequence.. But it looks awesome.

The only drag is this device does not dim the lights, but will allow shimmer and twinkle. With individual addressing, it only allows on/off. But there is a lot you can do with it.

paulanator wrote:

The only drag is this device does not dim the lights, but will allow shimmer and twinkle. With individual addressing, it only allows on/off. But there is a lot you can do with it.

Which device did you get?

I am using the Revo 4 from ADJ. Kind of a disco light.

All the documentation and even in the pre programmed, there is no dimming. Many patterns and such, but no dimming at all.

I have a driveway where I need to keep clear of permanent display, but I am going to use the light in the driveway area. It looks really great, and the chases and designs are pretty cool.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Well, I got the ENTTEC Open. ...and... what is everyone's work around for shutting down the listener when the USB adapter isn't plugged in? Unload the control panel? Go into network prefs and switch off the DMX adapter? I read a post somewhere, I think Chuck started it but I couldn't find it...

Jeff

Jeff, it was over in beta, and yes, still having some issues. Not a show stopper yet, just problems with PC in the middle of the night doing something that the DMX world doesn't like. Just means I'll have to unload and reload LOR each evening before show

Jeff Millard wrote:

Well, I got the ENTTEC Open. ...and... what is everyone's work around for shutting down the listener when the USB adapter isn't plugged in? Unload the control panel? Go into network prefs and switch off the DMX adapter? I read a post somewhere, I think Chuck started it but I couldn't find it...

In addition to the two that you mention, you could instead set the DMX listener port to 0 (also in the Network Preferences).

Alternatively, you could just minimize the LOR Comm Listener and ignore it. It should just keep plugging away trying to open the adapter, and when you eventually plug it in, it should open it up.

Would anyone that has their Enttec Pro running on XP with S3 be willing to do a quick video (Webex) session with me to see if I can figure out why mine isn't working. I've tried everyting I know to get it going without luck. My current setup is an Enttec Pro setup as Universe 1, also have 2 USB485's running a few CCR's for testing. The ribbons are working great. The lights on the DMX side are Rainbow Flood Extreme's set to channels 1 and 6 with a terminator on the channel 6 fixture. Send me a PM if you would be willing to give me 5 to 10 minutes of your time. About to give up on DMX for 2011.

bestone wrote:

Would anyone that has their Enttec Pro running on XP with S3 be willing to do a quick video (Webex) session with me to see if I can figure out why mine isn't working. I've tried everyting I know to get it going without luck. My current setup is an Enttec Pro setup as Universe 1, also have 2 USB485's running a few CCR's for testing. The ribbons are working great. The lights on the DMX side are Rainbow Flood Extreme's set to channels 1 and 6 with a terminator on the channel 6 fixture. Send me a PM if you would be willing to give me 5 to 10 minutes of your time. About to give up on DMX for 2011.
Did you enter the settings in "Edit", "Preferences", "Network settings", DMX ?

Don't give up, I am available a little latter this week to either video chat, chat, telephone, or what every it takes :D

Chuck,

Don't mean to steal the thread from bestone, but I just invested in DMX last night, and am hoping to get it working this year. I saw your post, and thought that was really nice of that guy. Then I saw Pottstown, PA and thought WOW, it is Chuck. I also saw Ken started the thread. I may be calling upon your experience once all the cables and Enttec show up!

Bob in Schwenksville

rlw162 wrote:

Chuck,

Don't mean to steal the thread from bestone, but I just invested in DMX last night, and am hoping to get it working this year. I saw your post, and thought that was really nice of that guy. Then I saw Pottstown, PA and thought WOW, it is Chuck. I also saw Ken started the thread. I may be calling upon your experience once all the cables and Enttec show up!

Bob in Schwenksville

Ken? Ken who....:P:D:P:P

Yes, were nearly neighbors, actually our EDM's are able to cross each other :cool:

Edit: P.s I am having a set-up weekend this weekend here with some friends/family, rain or snow, fee free to drop me a call and stop by if you want to see first hand the settings and setup. I am up and running now for Halloween.

bestone wrote:

Would anyone that has their Enttec Pro running on XP with S3 be willing to do a quick video (Webex) session with me to see if I can figure out why mine isn't working. I've tried everyting I know to get it going without luck. My current setup is an Enttec Pro setup as Universe 1,... The lights on the DMX side are Rainbow Flood Extreme's set to channels 1 and 6 with a terminator on the channel 6 fixture. Send me a PM if you would be willing to give me 5 to 10 minutes of your time. About to give up on DMX for 2011.

I'm not familiar with the Rainbow Floods. Don't you have to power them from a DC controller of some sort?

I think the problem is with your Pin Outs. The Enttec Pro has a round 3-pin DMX plug. If your Rainbow Flood controller uses a 3-pin DMX plug, then you should be good. If your controller has an RJ45 CAT5 input, then you can have problems. Depending on who makes it, it may need input on Pins 1 and 2 or it may need input on Pins 4 and 5 (the LOR standard).

So - give a full description of how your RFs are connected and we should be able to fix you up.

Brad...

I thought of some more stuff after our chat before. Check your email first.

Some more stuff I thought of...If you have the LOR485 or 485B you can use that as a DMX dongle. However, the pinouts are different. You will need to make a crossover cable. If you see this before my email get back on chat. I have a few more ideas.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck,

Thank you for the offer. We (with Greg's help) got them working by replacing the power/dmx dongle. All is well in the world of DMX at the Stone household now. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Millard wrote:

So far I haven't had any of the issues with DMX, like the shifted first address or freezing.
Jeff

I am glad things are working out for you Jeff. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you are using equipment that conforms to the DMX standard. All SE and LOR DMX devices meet this standard.

Craig

• The topic was locked