Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX/USB485 Pin-Outs

Phippers

Does anyone happen to know when sending 'Raw DMX' out the USB485 what the pin-outs are? I'm trying to create my own Cat5 to XLR(DMX) Cable, and then run the raw DMX straight into some native devices. If anyone has the PinOuts, that would be great! :)

-Matt

The LOR USB485 adapter uses pins 4 and 5 (from memory) Its the Blue and Blue/White pair. The solid Blue is data + and the Blue/White is data -

Since you are using the dlight version, it MAY be the same, but no guarantees from me.

Im probably missing something since no one else has mentioned it but just in case :

I can only speak for the LOR adapter. I have HEARD dlight has native dmx support - but I dont own anything dlight... so:

The LOR RS-485 adapter does NOT output DMX. If you run that signal into a native dmx firture, its going to do nothing.

A bit more info:

DMX is based on RS485, so if everything was wired and programed, propperly, (at least in theory, this is possible) but not from any current LOR software.

All current LOR controllers support the ability to listen dmx (I'm led to believe this "detection" of signal type occurs just after powering up the device. ) I have never tried to feed a controller both LOR and DMX at the same time. I wouldnt expect that to work.

Im not a protocol expert, but it would appear the LOR protocol and DMX are quite close - but different enough that S2 /S3 will not natively control a DMX device. Of course now with S3, Enttec DMX support is built in. (but thats via an enttec dongle, not via the LOR rs485 dongle.

And my usual disclaimer when it comes to the LOR Protocol - Its propriatary because thats how LOR wanted it. LOR makes great products, and keeping that bit of code locked in the vault next to the recipie for Cocacola has made them the company they are today.

Buy LOR, support LOR. Let them keep making S4 and S5, and Cosmic Color gizmos.