Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware, placement, and snow

ericnagel

Looking for some general advice...

I have 2 CCRs, new this year, that I'm making 4 arches out of. The arches are on the lawn, about 15' away from the rest of the controllers.

I also live in Buffalo, and it snows when the lights are up.

I also have kids who like to mess with my stuff, but have 2 security cameras up to deter them.

If you have CCRs on the ground, in a wintery environment, what do you do with the power supplies & controllers? What about locking them down?

I bought 2 enclosures ( http://store.lightorama.com/enforpcco.html ), but now don't know what I'm going to do.

Does anyone have experience here? Photos would be great

Thank you,
Eric

I put my CCR controllers in a plastic tub (Hillshire Farms deli tub) inverted. So controller put in bottom of tub, then put power supply in, then a small piece of styrofoam, then cut small notches in lid for cords coming out. Then flip it over and put on ground, take a large zip cord and zip tie to a stake.

Mine have been rained on and buried for a time in NJ snow and I have had no problems doing it 2 years in this fashion. I like that I can see the red light thru the plastic tub without snow and instantly know if my network is up of down, I have power or not.

Good luck with whatever method you use.

ericnagel wrote:

Thanks, Ed - any photos? So the holes end up on the bottom of the plastic tub?

No photos sorry, I'm cheapo compared to you guys. My tubs cost about about $9 but I get lunch for a week.

And yes the lid with holes in it is against the ground but I use the small piece of styrofoam to boost up the electronics in case water wicks in the holes in lid.

I have had mine buried under several feet of snow without issues in just the LOR enclosures. One year we had warm days and cold nights for several weeks and I had one channel that would not fully power down so the lights on that channel would not go all of the way off. I shoveled the snow off of the controller and the issue went away the next day.

The controllers in enclosures are pretty robust.

For security the snow actually works to your advantage. The snow covers things up. If you can work the controllers into the landscape or decorations so much the better. One of the most effective security features I have found so far is my rescue dog. He enjoys chasing anything that moves.

I have added a motion detector light system this year since I do not keep my outside all of the time.

Attached files 271954=15027-DSCF1294.JPG

Lowes has a base/wall cabinet on for 29.99 up here in Canada. screwed 12 CCR controllers to the first shelf and all the power supplies to the second. It is also lockable. here is the link to the picture from black and decker. When i get home i can post pictures of the finnished product. can store all the ribbons in the base of the cabinet for off season.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/17183702.aspx

Attached files 272186=15044-wall and base cabinet.jpg

• The topic was locked