Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR is on without data input

Marty Belisle

Ran my #5,6,7 CCRs daisy chained together while programing sequences all worked great. Took them outside and hooked them all up. #5,6 worked fine and 7 lit up and stayed lit up when I plugged it in. I did a couple of resets with no luck. Ran my sequences and 5,6 ran great but 7 stayed lit and the odd time pixel one would bink as if it was getting input? I handled them all like glass. #6, 7 are new this year. When it gets light out I'll flop around controller to see if the problem moves. I will attempt to reset again and hook up #7 individually, redo the firmware and verfiy it's in normal mode. I have never had a CCR stay lit when just plugged in, they ussually only flash until it gets input. Any ideas?

Ok did some more testing. Moved controller to a diff ribbon problem did not move. Put a diff controller on the bad ribbon problem was the same. Ran the unit standalone, updated the firmware, did multiple resests no better. When the unit is plugged in the whole unit lights up except the first 3 pixels. These 3 pixels go through reseting sequence and it appears they work fine in a regular sequence. I suspect I must have problem with the ribbon right at the first connection point after the first 3 pixels. I looked closely with a flashlight, magnifing glass to try and see damage or a failure point with no luck. I'm not sure what could have changed as the ribbon is mounted on a 3/4 PVC so could not move at that point? Perhaps just the change in temperature form indoor to outdoor as we are sitting right at the freezing point. Not sure what I can do from this point except order another replacement ribbon? Any suggestions anyone, my soldering skills are limited..

Marty Belisle wrote:

Ok did some more testing. Moved controller to a diff ribbon problem did not move. Put a diff controller on the bad ribbon problem was the same. Ran the unit standalone, updated the firmware, did multiple resests no better. When the unit is plugged in the whole unit lights up except the first 3 pixels. These 3 pixels go through reseting sequence and it appears they work fine in a regular sequence. I suspect I must have problem with the ribbon right at the first connection point after the first 3 pixels. I looked closely with a flashlight, magnifing glass to try and see damage or a failure point with no luck. I'm not sure what could have changed as the ribbon is mounted on a 3/4 PVC so could not move at that point? Perhaps just the change in temperature form indoor to outdoor as we are sitting right at the freezing point. Not sure what I can do from this point except order another replacement ribbon? Any suggestions anyone, my soldering skills are limited..

See if this thread helps. I know nothing about CCR's, but these 2 problems seem related.

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum89/28257.html

MikeH

Thanks Mike appreciate you looking at this for me. I had confirmed the settings were on normal vs legacywhile troubleshooting. Problem occurs without the Cat5 cables hooked up. Suspect a ribbon issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it was a bad ribbon, LOR replaced it right away, no questions, great service. Thanks LOR looking forward to finishing up the display.

• The topic was locked