Light-O-Rama Forums

DIY DMX dongle

Scott Keon

This is a big topic of converstation lately so let me jump in...

During beta testing I am the one that found this issue. What it really boils down to is the so called "Enttec compatible devices" really are not truly Enttec compatible. To take it a step further, they actually do not adhere to the DMX standard. Without boring you to death it has to do with with a missing byte in the coding.

I have every dongle that the world has vomited up. This includes the Lynx dongle, RPMs dongle (both versions), all the Enttecs, that adapter David Moore sells, the d-Light adapter...you name it, I have it. In any event, the d-Light adapter is the only thing out of that list that works as it should. The rest just don't adhere to true DMX coding.

How to rectify this...

Well, you could just offset all your devices by one. For example, in the SE put in channel 1 and set your first device to channel 2. That is time consuming and a waste of time.

I spoke with Bob and Dan regarding this and actually sent LOR the Lynx dongle. Neither Dan or Bob committed to a firm date as to when they would get them working in the software, but Bob did state that they would "TRY" to get it done by the 3.1 release. I don't know the intended schedule for the next software release but I don't forsee a major step in software this close to the lighting season.

Everyone should really just get one of the Enttec devices. They are painfully cheap on eBay and they work fantastically...IMHO. :D

Greg

PonddudeEveryone should really just get one of the Enttec devices. They are painfully cheap on eBay and they work fantastically...IMHO. :D

Greg

I'm sure you are aware as I am, $20, $30, $40 matters to people. The Open is $60 and the Pro is $150 and you still need to build a XLR to CAT5 adapter. When there is a mountain load of cheap FTDI USB485 adapters on the market for $20 or less and all it takes is a minor tweak to make it work, saving hundreds of people the difference.

Just my two cents. :)

I suspect most people are not interested in "why" but would you take a moment to post the "missing byte" information?

Thanks,
David

I have tested a LOR USB485B adapter connected to a LE via cat5 and it works as expected.

Is this adapter a viable option compared to the Enttec or iDMX. I'd like to save $269 not having to purchase a iDMX, but I won't bat an eye at $20 if it saves me 20 hours of frustration.

• The topic was locked