Light-O-Rama Forums

Converting/Importing S2 into S3

paulanator

Since we are still "waiting" patiently for S3's release, I have a question that hopefully someone on the beta team or from LOR can answer.

Is there going to be documentation/tutorial on Converting/Importing our S2 sequences and layouts into the new S3 software?

That will be a big help to those of us who have done a lot of sequencing, but would like to take advantage of the new S3 stuff, and get up and running quickly.

I've written a very detailed instruction manual on how to import your sequences from S2 to S3. Here goes.

Open your S2 sequence in S3.
Program.
Save.

Your done! It's that easy.

Don,
Thanks, but that is too complicated! We need videos and charts and walk throughs....

That is super if it is that easy.

I am assuming that the new graphic layout feature has to be done from scratch, or does it import your old visualizer data?

I'm a tad busy right now, but I can work up charts and graphs in Spring 2012 if you need them. :P

You are correct on the new Visualizer. It does NOT import your Animation window. Anything you want in there will have to be drawn from scratch.

Don,
thanks for the quick answers!

It is not a rush, Sept/oct 2012 will be fine, right before the election. :0

Don, if there are issues within S3 that require us to go back to S2, will the sequences (other than compressed or encrypted) be backward compatible once they are imported into S3? Thx!

WayneKremer wrote:

Don, if there are issues within S3 that require us to go back to S2, will the sequences (other than compressed or encrypted) be backward compatible once they are imported into S3? Thx!

It's about 50/50 at this point. There are some features of S3 that S2 will ignore, and some that S2 will choke on.

Since I don't have both installed, I can't verify this. However, I think that a sequence with groups will open in S2 (but of course the groups wouldn't be there. A sequence with a locked track would *not* open in S2. (Again, can't confirm this, so don't hold me to it.)

I think it also makes a difference according to which version of S2 you have. I've got a pc with 2.7.4 that chokes when I try to open sequences from 2.9.

I would guess that any channels/blocks that have new S3 features would make S2 hiccup, or just not do anything when the time bar goes by it.. jus' guessing..

Don wrote:

I'm a tad busy right now, but I can work up charts and graphs in Spring 2012 if you need them. :)

You are correct on the new Visualizer. It does NOT import your Animation window. Anything you want in there will have to be drawn from scratch.

Didn't I read somewhere that S3 will have 2 visualizers?? That way you can keep your old drawing if you want? Or you can draw a new one in the "new" visualizer.

shfr26 wrote:

Don wrote:
I'm a tad busy right now, but I can work up charts and graphs in Spring 2012 if you need them. :)

Didn't I read somewhere that S3 will have 2 visualizers?? That way you can keep your old drawing if you want? Or you can draw a new one in the "new" visualizer.

No.
1 Visualizer
1 Animation Window

The Animation Window is what you have today, and is still in use in S3. The Visualizer is new.

They are different.

Thank you. Was going by a post of devmike. Guess I did not understand it correctly.

I just reread that post and think I now understand.:?

Guest wbottomley

Don wrote:

I've written a very detailed instruction manual on how to import your sequences from S2 to S3. Here goes.

Open your S2 sequence in S3.
Program.
Save.

Your done! It's that easy.

LMAO! Too good Don.

Don wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
Don wrote:

No.
1 Visualizer
1 Animation Window

The Animation Window is what you have today, and is still in use in S3. The Visualizer is new.

They are different.

The Animation Window is exactly what S2 has now. When you open a S2 sequence that has "your old drawing" in S3 it will/can work exactly like the animation window in S2.

If you want to use the "Visualizer" (new in S3) you would have to start from scratch drawing it all out. Your current (S2) "old drawing" would be left untouched, and work just as it does now in S2.

As a matter of fact (I just tried it) you can have the Visualizer (only S3) and the Animation Window (in S2 and S3) running at the same time showing what you have sequenced and drawn.

All that talk about the Visualizer and Animation window is correct. S3 has BOTH. S2 only has the Animation window.

Sorry if I confused people. In the future I'll try to remember that the old one is 'Animation' vs the new one being 'Visualizer'.

Just to clear a little bit up, and add some information:

(1) Don's description of how to convert S2 sequences to S3 sequences is 100% accurate.

(2) You will still be able to use your existing animations, in the existing Animator. You will not be able to automatically import them into the new Visualizer. Basically, we recommend using the Visualizer instead of the Animator, but the Animator is still supported.

(3) If you try to open an S3 sequence in S2, S2 will warn you that it might not understand everything in the sequence. However, it will give it a try. As Don indicated, whether it will succeed or not depends upon what features the sequence uses, and as George indicated, it will also depend upon the version of S2 you're using.

I think the specifics that Don described regarding this are backwards, though: If you're using the latest version of S2 (version 2.9.4), and your sequence uses channel groups, it will fail. If your sequence uses locked tracks, that (alone) will not cause it to fail, but it will not know that the tracks are supposed to be locked. Other than those two things, I think that opening an S3 sequence in S2 will work fine, but I don't guarantee it.

(4) It should be noted that if you open a sequence built using a different version of LOR than you're currently using, and the layout of the save files created by the two versions are different than each other, and you resave the sequence, then instead of just creating a "*.bak" backup file of the original file (which would be automatically overwritten the next time you saved), it will also create another, more permanent, backup file: "*.v??.bak", where "??" describes the version of the save file layout (which is not the same thing as the version of the software).

For example, if you create MySequence.lms using version 2.9.4, upgrade to 3.0.0, open the file and resave it, then it will create (I think) MySequence.lms.v8.bak, because (I think) version 2.9.4 used "version #8" of the save file layout. If you ever fall back to version 2.9.4, you can rename MySequence.lms.v8.bak to (say) MyRestoredSequence.lms, and version 2.9.4 will have no trouble opening it. It won't include any of the new sequencing that you did in the meantime, but it will at least be something that definitely works.

Similarly, if you create MySequence.lms using version 3.0.0, fall back to 2.9.4, open the file and resave it, then it will create MySequence.lms.v11.bak, because version 3.0.0 will use version #11 of the save file layout.

Thanks Bob, any chance you can publish whatever manual pages you have at this point so we can ramp up and not overload the beta testers and staff when it is released??

Jim Saul wrote:

Thanks Bob, any chance you can publish whatever manual pages you have at this point so we can ramp up and not overload the beta testers and staff when it is released??

Sure, good idea. Here's a PDF version of the 3.0.0 help file:

http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/3.0.0/LORHelp.pdf

I'll put a web-based version up too, but it will take some time.

I suggest starting at the "What's New" page, and looking at "What's New in Version 3.0.0".