Light-O-Rama Forums

Poll - Life before LOR

Jim Saul

From reading posts it seems like a lot of people introduce themselves like this:
"Hi my name is (fill in the blank) and I'm an addict. It all began with a Sounds of Christmas unit that I picked up ..."
Followed by a bunch of us saying "Hi (fill in the blank) it's OK, I started with one of those too, now I've so so many channels that I stay in the basement all summer and sequence. When I come out to set up Halloween I'm so white that everyone thinks I'm one of the flying crank ghosts"

Now, like any smart drug dealer, Dan should be giving some product away to get people addicted, then real them in.
So I'm thinking that if Dan wants to double his customer base all he needs to do is hand out a few thousand Sounds of Christmas boxes this year, and reap the rewards next year :P

Let's see if the numbers pan out.

I had a static display for years.then I got a gemmy 6 channel,and thought that was an upgrade:( now life is good with lor:D

-klb- wrote:

Yes, I actually had a life, before LOR.... :X:?:shock:

LOL I removed that option from the poll because I knew it would be the only one checked.:shock:

Life before LOR was a scarry and static life the ligths just sat there and did nonething except blink occassionally for those blinker bulbs that dont do diddly one third of your lights blinked fast another third blinked slow and the rest did not blink at all

All of the above.
Had no display, then had static display, and then had LASOC before moving to LOR.

Seems the question should be rephrased to indicate "the year before you started with LOR, which did you have?"

Started with 1 static string, went to outlining the house, then to Lights and Sounds of Christmas, then I found LOR. 2 years ago, I had 1 controller, then 6 the next year, now 9 controllers and 2 CCR's. Will add at least 3 more controllers next year, and if I can get them without the wife knowing, at least 12 more CCR's.:P

I had a large static, then sold it all and moved, but soon built up a good size static again. in 2009 I picked up the 6 channel Mr Christmas box, replaced the fuse with a nail and a few days before Christmas I ordered 32 channels.

Well.......let's see.... A life.......well yeah I had one before lor. I have one during lor and I'll be long gone before lor is. Now let's talk about the money we don't have. Lol

Jim Saul wrote:

Now, like any smart drug dealer, Dan should be giving some product away to get people addicted, then real them in.
So I'm thinking that if Dan wants to double his customer base all he needs to do is hand out a few thousand Sounds of Christmas boxes this year, and reap the rewards next year :)

I've often thought that same thing.... I started last year with Mr. Christmas and this year.... LOR!!!

Before LOR I was a frequent diver/divemaster. Then bought a house 2 1/2yrs ago. Got a 12 ch Gemmy unit for one year, still use it for Halloween. Last year got into LOR, went diving once this year. Diving got me into working with high output led's, building underwater light units for my camera for stills and video. Now building weather proof lighting for my display.

My display doesn't fit any of the choices to vote. Although there was no music, I had an animated display, which I ran on switching boards that I made myself. Only four channels, but lots and lots of lights. It was all run by an Atari 800 computer. I also wrote the program in Basic. LOR is much easier and so much better. I went from four channels to 152 channels.

Before
I used to drink beer, chase women, and party till the sun came up.

Now I'm older and just like to watch the lights flash and remember the good ole days!

1996 to 2006 – We had a static display, with a friendly competition with our neighbors. About 1,000 lights and multiple inflatables.

2007 – Same static display, but my wife bought me a “Mr. Christmas Light and Sound” for my birthday. Next thing I know, I am watching “Wizards of Winter” online and wondering how that is done.

2008 – Purchased the 32 channel Showtime package from LOR. My eldest son built a Ramsey FM transmitter for his 4H Electric project, while my younger son sequenced Ray Bolz’s “Glad Tidings” for his 4H computer project. Both won their division and the computer project went on to win the top honors at Indiana State Fair 4H computer project.

After that, more CTB16PC kits, CCR and many more lights.

Powers_Ronald wrote:

... but my wife bought me a “Mr. Christmas Light and Sound” for my birthday. Next thing I know, I am watching “Wizards of Winter” online and wondering how that is done.

After that, more CTB16PC kits, ... and many more lights.

Exact same here. Wonder if she regrets that B-day present now? Whenever she complains about it though, I remind her of who got it all started. :D

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Exact same here.  Wonder if she regrets that B-day present now?    Whenever she complains about it though, I remind her of who got it all started.  :D

I am not sure. She enjoys having the house light up, and this all started with some nice 4H projects, so I would say she does not regrets it. Besides, she tells her friends "Well, he could have a worse hobby."