Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

CooBeans

Hi Everybody, this is my second year of LOR, and I'm on a tight budget (200) so I was wondering if any of you know where to buy some good fm transmitters for upwards of $35-40 that would be great!

The Belkin mod does work, but quality is poor and transmission distance is weak. It is hit or miss. I used one with my old Lights and Sounds unit but not sure that it would have sufficed for my setup with LOR. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for one online if you can find one. More than that and I would save the money for something better.

Best quality for the buck is EDM-LCD-CS-EP
$159 shipped
http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

Surfing4Dough wrote:

The Belkin mod does work, but quality is poor and transmission distance is weak. It is hit or miss. I used one with my old Lights and Sounds unit but not sure that it would have sufficed for my setup with LOR. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for one online if you can find one. More than that and I would save the money for something better.

Best quality for the buck is EDM-LCD-CS-EP
$159 shipped
http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

Agree with everything said.

CooBeans wrote:

So I was looking around, does anyone have any experience with this Transmitter?

I would be leery of this transmitter. It only has 7 channels to choose from, what do you do if all seven are already in use in your locality?

MikeH

I would stay away from that one,looks too muck like a whole house transmitter. many here have used the wht with bad results

CooBeans wrote:

First with this transmitter, you will be locked into 1 of 7 pre-programmed channels. So, you best pray that 1 of those channels is clear in your area. Look any transmitter that will use 4.5 volts and last 150 hours is going to be a very low wattage transmitter, a very very low wattage. And you really dont need much power to transmit to something that is only a few feet away like in your car. Or across the front room from laptop to your stereo. I would have serious doubts that this will work.

There is an old saying. You can buy junk and cry each time it does not work. Or you can buy a quality product and cry once. I will join in and advise you to save up a bit more and get a good quality product.

CooBeans wrote:

This type is for use in your car. Say you have an mp3 player but no inputs in your car stereo to play your mp3 player through it--therefore you plug this into the headphone jack and tune the radio to the set station. It is made for transmitting a few feet--not through walls or across the yard.

This is what the Belkin Tunecast is for too, but as mentioned above somebody figured out how to mod it and add an external antenna and power source and try to get it to broadcast further. Worked fair in my opinion.

I have used the Whole House Transmitter 1.0 ($99)for 3 years now without a single issue. On the old one, as long as you had a open channel between 106.5-107.9 you were good to go.

The new 2.0 version now has full frequency range

I've used the Belkin, wouldn't reach past my driveway. Purchased the Mobile Black Box 4000(which is no longer available) and that worked very well. EDM is an excellent choice, but more expensive.

But for the price, you could try the Belkin, it may work for you just fine.

If not, return it. I would try it immediately rather than wait for Christmas though.

CooBeans wrote:

Hi Everybody, this is my second year of LOR, and I'm on a tight budget (200) so I was wondering if any of you know where to buy some good fm transmitters for upwards of $35-40 that would be great!

It appears that, after observing responses to this type of questions over the last two years, EDM seems to be the preferred transmitter. I bought the Black Box about 5 years ago. It has worked flawless.

So.....just ordered an EDM. just realized it's coming from South Africa. anyone remember how long it took to get theirs?