Light-O-Rama Forums

Ready to take the plunge- need as much help as available

bvinson

I'm ready to make the plunge into LOR (buy the software, controller, etc now) for next year's Christmas and just wanted to get some insights from anyone.

My plan is to start w/ the 16 channel and grow as the years progress (or we move- I don't have much yard right now).

Part of the reason I'm waiting until next year is to take advantage of light/ accessories/ etc. sales after this season. I would like to go LED also to be more 'green' and save on electricity.

Questions:
* Since I am a mac guy, I will have to make an investment in a PC also, what are good baseline specs to operate the system?

* I am VERY interested in making my own sequences and 'lip syncing' characters/heads for Halloween and Christmas, so I'm 'sure' I need to go w/ a PC control vs. a mini director and using downloaded sequences.

* I'm 'thrifty' and would like to build mini trees, shapes, etc. are there instructions floating around or those type of things

* Is broadcasting through a radio station something for a newbie to try and explore?

* As a precaution I have already contacted my city, neighborhood association and community associations, all are 'ok' with it (for now), we'll see how that goes.

I'm a marching orders kind of guy, if anyone has a run down list I'm ready to follow it, thanks all.

#1. jsut about any old PC will work, several people pick them up at garage sales

#3.Mini trees, 2 tomato cages wtih lights wrapped on them.

#4. But a F.M. transmitter, stay away from the Whole house one, get either EMD or ramsey.

#5. Buy lots of SPT wire or cords

Welcome to our madness, have fun.

EDIT: I use a Mobile black box eclipse 4000 F.M. transmitter, so I just mentioned a few names that I could remember.

Thanks for the info. Never would have thought about tomato cages...

Will check out craig's list for a pc- found some specs on the "wow" site.

Starting my list now of songs I'd like to sequence, working on supplies for an animated pumpkin for next year's halloween too.

Look for at least XP as the operating system on the PC.

Also note that I have sequenced on a system that is pretty close to the minimum, and it is probably OK for a 16 or 32 channel show, but as you get bigger you will want more for your sequencing PC. Minimum system though should still play shows up to a pretty good size..

-klb- wrote:

Look for at least XP as the operating system on the PC.

Also note that I have sequenced on a system that is pretty close to the minimum, and it is probably OK for a 16 or 32 channel show, but as you get bigger you will want more for your sequencing PC. Minimum system though should still play shows up to a pretty good size..

With this in mind should I consider a mini director to run my sequences and an 'old' pc just for the sequence build?

Re reading the question.. wrong answer lower below..

You should be perfectly fine sequencing on a 3 a to 6 year old PC.. You can probably pick one up on craigs list, or yard sales, but you want to be sure you are paying less than for the cheapest 15 inch laptop at Wallmart, which would also be a good sequencing PC..

I've never run my home show from a mini director, but I know a few people that have. I've also used the mini director a few times and places with good results for the purposes at hand.

If you want to first year plan, to run the show with a mini director, and sequence on a well worn PC, you should be good to go. If you ever decide to get a newer PC for sequencing, then you would have the option of using the well worn PC as your show computer, or remaining on the mini director.

Or, if you are starting with a new PC for sequencing, you can easly start with the mini director, and later aquire a well worn PC as a show PC, should it ever be necessary. Then, you would also have the mini director on hand, should that show PC ever have technical issues, and you need to get something going for a night or two..

My show started with a well worn laptop as the show computer, and I have enough hardware kicking around, that it would likely stay that way, even if I had not moved to multiple networks.

Here is the mininum info straight fro LOR website:

Details

File Name:
LOR-2.9.4.exe

Version:

Date Published:
December 1, 2010

System Requirements

Operation System:
Windows 98SE / 2000 / ME / XP / Vista / 7 + Windows Media Player 9 or higher

Processor:
500 MHz or faster

Memory
Minimum amount recommend for your OS

Hard Drive:
50 MB (plus storage for sequences and audio files)

jldavis1969 wrote:

Here is the mininum info straight fro LOR website:

Details

File Name:
LOR-2.9.4.exe

Version:

Date Published:
December 1, 2010

System Requirements

Operation System:
Windows 98SE / 2000 / ME / XP / Vista / 7 + Windows Media Player 9 or higher

Processor:
500 MHz or faster

Memory
Minimum amount recommend for your OS

Hard Drive:
50 MB (plus storage for sequences and audio files)

Please note: This is for S2.

S3 will require XP as the oldest operating system. 98 SE will not be supported in S3.

For some of the advanced functions in S3, better results will be realized with above minimum spec.

Welcome to the madness!!

Did anyone mention to backup your sequences regularly and also you will need lots of extension cords

JBullard wrote:

For some of the advanced functions in S3, better results will be realized with above minimum spec.

+1

Being able to get by with the bare minimum isn't the place I'd go, not with pc prices more affordable than ever. The responsiveness of your sequencing pc will go a long way toward your enjoyment of this hobby.

A few of my own comments to add to the discussion. As for laptops. I currently own a Toshiba middle of the line that is a couple years old XP and 2GB ram. What I am seeing when I take my sequences over to my tower computer is this. The laptop video chip uses or should I say shares system memory. But the tower computer has memory on the video card (right not integrated video). When I run the animated screen on the laptop. The screen does not update fast enough and some blinks are missed, not seen. But I do not have this with the tower computer. So, if your going to be sequencing and using a laptop. You might consider getting a good laptop that video section has its own memory. This also holds true I am sure for desktop or tower computers. Get one that has its own video card and its own video memory.
If you dont have the skills yet to crimp on spade connectors. Or install vampire plugs and sockets. I highly suggest that you develop these skills and make your own cord sets. Start buying spools of SPT wire. You will be surprised at how many thousands of feet you will go through the first couple of years. So, start stocking up now. And if you can swing it. Get two 16 channel controllers. That is the second fastest thing to run out of....Channels. I assure you, you wont be sorry that you had that second controller on hand.

This is by far the most responsive forum I am a part of!

Thanks for all the input.

I'm already considering more channels, so I need to go ahead and make the investment.

My supply list has already expanded, this is going to be fun.

you bet this is going to be fun, my first year as well and getting ready for full blown set up:shock:

james campbell wrote:

you bet this is going to be fun, my first year as well and getting ready for full blown set up:shock:

Let me tell you a little secret...

or maybe not so much a secret depending on who's reading this...

it's even more fun next year!

George Simmons wrote:

james campbell wrote:

Let me tell you a little secret...

or maybe not so much a secret depending on who's reading this...

it's even more fun next year!

wow then I can't wait for my third year

A show computer doesn't need a lot of horsepower, I found mine at a rumage sale for $5. Your software license is good for 5 computers. Having dual monitors for sequencing helps a lot.

Started my shopping list from LOR website- attached below. Looking for alternative FM transmitters since the "Mobile black box eclipse 4000 F.M. transmitter" is sold out, availability unknown...

Contacted LOR about trigger devices for the mini director since it only 'plays' the sequence and not auto start/stop, any of you know about those?

Contacting a friend that is the IT guy for a university, they have previously used PCs for real cheap.

Attached files 269519=14916-lor.png

The Mini Director will start playing your sequences once power is applied so a regular outlet timer will work great if you want it to start on it's own at a set time or just give you show power when you want it to start.

MCas4380 wrote:

The Mini Director will start playing your sequences once power is applied so a regular outlet timer will work great if you want it to start on it's own at a set time or just give you show power when you want it to start.

Great, thanks! So I can add an external power source other than the controller through an outlet timer, cool.

Working on a PC now, once its secured I'll start my other purchases.

bvinson wrote:

This is by far the most responsive forum I am a part of!

Thanks for all the input.

I'm already considering more channels, so I need to go ahead and make the investment.

My supply list has already expanded, this is going to be fun.

Last year i started thinking i would start with 32 channels....then it went to 64....ended up with 208 last year.BUY LOTS OF EXTENSION CORDS!!!Welcome aboard.Look forwards to seeing your display.Keep it fun.