Light-O-Rama Forums

16 Channel Controller

tguidry1

I am just getting started and was wondering if a 16 channel is a good one to start with my display is not huge. Was wondering how many lights can be plugged into a single channel to be able to get more use out of 16 channels.

Thanks

If my math is correct then you can run 90 strings of incandescent lights,and 900 led strings,if they are evenly spaced? that sound right?

james campbell wrote:

If my math is correct then you can run 90 strings of incandescent lights,and 900 led strings,if they are evenly spaced? that sound right?

What kind of incandescent lights? 90 strings of C9's? How many lights per string?

Your answer this vague could get a newbie in serious trouble. This happened last year to a newbie using C9s because someone told him he could use xx strings of lights, so he went out and bought the "big bulbs"

james campbell wrote:

You are somewhat correct if using 100ct mini incandescents...IF you have them all on at once. So you can go well beyond that if you sequence with this in mind.

To summarize:
you can power up to 8amps on a channel.
You can power up to 15amps on a bank (ch1-8, ch 9-16)

So you could have multiple channels within a bank with 8amps each, but just couldn't have them both on at the same time (and the rest what is turned on within the bank must not exceed 7amps combined). Richard Holdman uses red, green, and white lights on everything, and explains in his behind the scenes video (I think) that a rule of thumb that he uses is he never has red and green on at the same time on a prop. This helps him to minimize how many amps he has on at a time.

This is why owning a Kill-a-watt meter is so useful, so you can measure how many amps a channel's lights require so you can get an exact measurement. That way you can deal with real numbers to help you not exceed the limitations.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

james campbell wrote:

You are somewhat correct if using 100ct mini incandescents...IF you have them all on at once. So you can go well beyond that if you sequence with this in mind.

To summarize:

So you could have multiple channels within a bank with 8amps each, but just couldn't have them both on at the same time (and the rest what is turned on within the bank must not exceed 7amps combined). Richard Holdman uses red, green, and white lights on everything, and explains in his behind the scenes video (I think) that a rule of thumb that he uses is he never has red and green on at the same time on a prop. This helps him to minimize how many amps he has on at a time.

This is why owning a Kill-a-watt meter is so useful, so you can measure how many amps a channel's lights require so you can get an exact measurement. That way you can deal with real numbers to help you not exceed the limitations.

wow,kinda open a can of worms there:D, I can see how you could get more out of your controller with good sequencing, I will be getting a killwat meter next year. not anywhere close to worry about overload for the lights I have this year

Guest wbottomley

And... run the maximum intensity at 86%. Some say this doesn't help, but I beg to differ. I run all of mine at 86% unless it's LED's. Lights last longer, less power is used.

JBullard wrote:

Or just use all LEDs and don't worry about it

how long it take you to buy 40000 leds? it will be awhile before I change .I will be spending most on the controllers and extension cords:D

james campbell wrote:

JBullard wrote:
Or just use all LEDs and don't worry about it

how long it take you to buy 40000 leds? it will be awhile before I change .I will be spending most on the controllers and extension cords:D

Not that long. Actually have way more then that now, if you count the ones i ordered last January presale (2011) to use in 2012.

Haven't bought extension cords in years. All SPT and vampires. Have three or four totes full of extension cords that I never use anymore.

I may start getting some next season from the spring sales,just to replace the ones that fail .

james campbell wrote:

I may start getting some next season from the spring sales,just to replace the ones that fail .

Fail? I have only had one string of LEDs fail since 2007 and Paul at CDI replaced it at no charge.

james campbell wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
james campbell wrote:

To summarize:

wow,kinda open a can of worms there:D, I can see how you could get more out of your controller with good sequencing, I will be getting a killwat meter next year. not anywhere close to worry about overload for the lights I have this year

The LOR Power Usage Utility is a great little utility here: http://www.t2lights.com/christmas/lorutility.html

You enter the amps required for each channel, and then import a sequence, and it graphs out the whole sequence (by 0.1sec) showing exactly how much power is being used. You can break it down by bank, controller, group of controllers (used to make sure you don't exceed the limits of a house circuit breaker if you have more than one controller on a circuit), or the total display. It has saved me some blow-outs multiple times.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

james campbell wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:
james campbell wrote:

To summarize:

The LOR Power Usage Utility is a great little utility here: http://www.t2lights.com/christmas/lorutility.html

You enter the amps required for each channel, and then import a sequence, and it graphs out the whole sequence (by 0.1sec) showing exactly how much power is being used. You can break it down by bank, controller, group of controllers (used to make sure you don't exceed the limits of a house circuit breaker if you have more than one controller on a circuit), or the total display. It has saved me some blow-outs multiple times.

again,love this forum so much good info,marked that in my favorites

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

Not that long. Actually have way more then that now, if you count the ones i ordered last January presale (2011) to use in 2012.

Haven't bought extension cords in years. All SPT and vampires. Have three or four totes full of extension cords that I never use anymore.

John good time of the year to have a big give away like Jim did and make more room in your garage for more LEDS LOL :D