Light-O-Rama Forums

another kit trouble shooting question

timmydatoolman

would installing the U2 Micro-processor socket backwards, cause the unit not to work?
Out of 8 kits i've built this is the only 1 with a problem. I noticed I installed the socket backwards, so when in installed the microprocessor I installed it the right direction, assuming its only a socket what differance would its direction make. I just ran all the LOR suggested trouble shooting and found nothing wrong, other then it dosen't work not even an LED.

Tim, so the socket's in wrong, but you oriented the chip correctly but it doesnt power up (no LED).. you have -both- power cords plugged in? It wont work with just one side powered. Second.. the two voltage regulators 7810 (10volt) and 7805 (5volt), in their correct places? Recheck the correct orientation of R15, R16, R18 & R19 SIP resistor network.. the dot on the resistor goes to the dot on the board? Also, you did -not- mix up the 470K and 4.7K resistors (R17 & R30)? If you mixed it, the chip is fried.. see pg13 in the assembly manual.

One side powers the processor electronics, aong with triacs and related for that side, so if you did only connect one side, you've got a 50/50 chance. Easier for testing is just to use the jumpers, as show in the user manual, and one cord. After 8 kits, I have to think thats not your problem..

Since you have 8 kits working, makes the most sense to do a good side by side parts placement comparison, and the usual check and re-heat of your solder work.

Do that first, and then if you don't find anything, we can take you thru a few more troubleshooting steps.

thanks for the ideas, I'm headed to the hospital to have my gallblader removed, when thats done and I'm off pain pills I'll start resoldering.

timmydatoolman wrote:

thanks for the ideas, I'm headed to the hospital to have my gallblader removed, when thats done and I'm off pain pills I'll start resoldering.

I'm sorry! Good luck to you---I hope everything goes well.

you can read this when you get back. I pray everything went well and that you came home with everything else just minus one gallbladder. Recently someone put together a kit and it was working, just no LED. He posted some pictures. And one guy here noted that the LED was put in backwards. Once the OP turned the LED around, it lit up and worked like it should. Might take a look and make sure the LED is in right. Just a thought.

Well I'm back and all went well! I got the board working, still couldn't find a problem so I reheated all the solder and that fixed it. Thanks for all of your advice and support.

It was obvious the board's gall bladder was having problems..once removed, it now works.

That was one of the easier troubleshooting threads we had to work thru...:P

Tim..glad it all went well...with both adventures..surgery..and controller.