Light-O-Rama Forums

Soldering tips disintegrating

fedatty

I recently purchased several DIY controllers and started soldering the first one together with a Radio Shack 15 Watt, a Weller 25 Watt, and a Radio Shack adjustable (20-50 Watt) soldering iron. All the tips have been disintegrating after a short period of use. I purchased new tips and the same thing happened. The tips seem to be eaten away by the solder. The solder was supplied with the kits from LOR. Has anyone else had the problem. LOR stated that it was the same solder that they always send with the kits. HELP

I've seen this happen with tips that are not tinned, usually if the iron has been sitting unused, but powered on, for a long time.

That was my thought too, tinning the tips.
Have you soldered before? are you tinning the tips, or do you know what that means?
I do not solder much anymore, but in and after high school I worked as a solderer "electronic tech", I don't think i went through more than 1 tip a year, and that was with doing hundreds of boards a week.

The copper in the tips do dissolve into the solder. I have been soldering for years. This is a common occurrence. I think the old tips that I have not had this problem with is the one I have on one blue handled weller soldering pencil. But all the others that are tinned and not left on for hours, not being used. they all have had this "Eaten away problem. So a few good licks with a file while it is cold and then retinning once the tip is up to temp (I hold the solder to the tip waiting for it to melt).

Iron plated tips will last much longer, but cost more.

But, the most common cause (not necessarily yours) of fast tip erosion is melting the solder on the iron, instead of the parts. You should be heating the parts with the iron, and applying solder to the other side of the part lead. Melting solder on the iron actually dissolves the copper as the solder flows over it.

I have been using a Hakko936 iron for hundreds of projects over the last 12 years and still have the original tip. I worked at RadioShack for 5 years and our in house iron went through tips every few months. (tips were RadioShack brand on 15 watt iron)

I guess brand and how the rosin core solder is applied does make a difference.

That Hakko probably has iron plated tips like my Weller soldering station. I've also got a simple Weller that was purchased years ago through radio shack with the iron plated tip. That one also has held up well. A couple
Of others with tinned copper tips, not so much.

fedatty wrote:

I recently purchased several DIY controllers and started soldering the first one together with a Radio Shack 15 Watt, a Weller 25 Watt,  and a Radio Shack adjustable (20-50 Watt) soldering iron.  All the tips have been disintegrating after a short period of use.  I purchased new tips and the same thing happened.  The tips seem to be eaten away by the solder.  The solder was supplied with the kits from LOR.  Has anyone else had the problem.  LOR stated that it was the same solder that they always send with the kits.  HELP 
]

Great subject to bring up. I've been doing a ton of soldering with this hobby the last 1 1/2 yrs and been seeing the same thing. A lot of times I can't even replace the tip, some have a set screw and others are threaded. I'll reshape the tip once in a while, by the time it's too far gone the tip cannot be removed. If I replace tips sooner, that can be pricey too, if you can buy a replacement tip. Yes, I tin the tip and apply solder to the wire and not the iron.

One big fault that will shorten the usable life of any soldering tip is cleaning the tip after soldering.

This should only be done before soldering a connection not after.

Iron clad tips are a must for any soldering, just do not try to file them, you will have a copper tip then and will only last a short time.

I have iron clad tips over 20 years old and still useable.