Light-O-Rama Forums

multiple ccr very slow to start and then out of time

nhscott

Hi all,

I am not sure where to post this one but as it started with adding CCR's I thought I would start here.

I have recently added 12 ccr's to my setup and can see all the controllers for the CCR's from the S2 2.9.4 no probs.

They are configured on two networks with a rs485 interfaces on each with 6 ccr's. There are no other controllers on these networks. CCR controller firmware is 1.06.

I wrote a simple 20 sec sequence using the controller macro functionto have 4 on 2 off chase from one end to the other in 7 colors.

The two problems I am having are:

1. When I start the sequence playback in the sequence editor ( with control light option on ) it takes 10+ seconds before anything happens and everything seems very slow. It is also very slow to stop the sequence when started. This was not the case before I added the CCR's.

2. The lights on the CCR's are also not perfectly in sync each other. They are slightly out of time with each other.

I thought it might be that the machine is underpowered now, but I monitored the cpu util and it barely breaks 20% and memory is well within limits.

Os is XP.

Any idea on whats going on and how to fix it.

Thanks

6 CCRs per network might be pushing it. When you play the sequence are you minimizing the sequence display and turning off the animator screen? The problem could be the "speed" of your graphics card not the cpu.

The other issue might be your USB speed. Are you running version 1 or 2?

I'm only running 1/2 the number of channels that you are, and I have the same issues you do if I don't minimize the sequence display.

Hi ainsworth, thanks for the tips.

I checked the specs and I am using usb2 ports on the laptop. I also set the rs485 links to faster network speed but that didn't make any difference that I could see.

I had wondered about the channels per network. I read that 900 channels to a network (6 ccrs), but leaves little room. Guess I will need to order another 485 controller.

Hadn't thought through the graphics issue. No animator but did have sequence screen running.

Might try running it all on something with a little more grunt all round I.e gpu, cpu, mem and see if that helps things. I would have thought dual core 1.6g could have done it but maybe graphics slows it down.

Happy to hear other ideas as well as I think there could be multiple things here.

I agree with ainsworth. But want to add the faster or more memory will help.

When you use the macros, you are off loading a bunch of commands to the CCR controller. So it may appear to keep going after you stop SE. Thats because you sent a macro command to do something for 5 seconds which isnt up yet when you stop.
Be sure all of your CCRs config are set to 8 standalone speed. This is the CCRs clock which you want them all to run at the same speed as SE does.

• The topic was locked