Light-O-Rama Forums

RS485 Comm problems

oxnard

I have 8 'known working' LOR boards, are in perfect cosmetic shape. I was using a RS232 dongle to communicate with the network, and had good luck. (Until the puker puked). I've since gone to a USB/RS-232 cable, using the original RS232 dongle, and cannot get the pc to talk to the boards. I've since gotten an RS-485 dongle from LOR, and the same problem. Any suggestions?

oxnard wrote:

I have 8 'known working' LOR boards, are in perfect cosmetic shape. I was using a RS232 dongle to communicate with the network, and had good luck. (Until the puker puked). I've since gone to a USB/RS-232 cable, using the original RS232 dongle, and cannot get the pc to talk to the boards. I've since gotten an RS-485 dongle from LOR, and the same problem. Any suggestions?
Your statement that you make "I've since gone to a USB/RS232 cable" does not compute. USB and RS-232 are two different animals. And there is no way you can be "using the original RS232 dongle". Again this is impossible.

The original RS-232 dongle attached directly to the DB9 connector. The USB dongle has a short USB cable that attaches to the dongle / converter that converts to RS-485 and has a CAT 5 cable usually attached to the dongle and goes out to the controller.

Ok, so no it sounds like you have the USB dongle. Did you install the software that came with the dongle? What operating system does your computer use?

Max,

You can have usb/RS232. It can be an adapter cable that plugs into the USB port to give a DB9 serial port. LOR sells them. http://store.lightorama.com/usbsead.html

So no the OP is not using incorrect terminology. I do agree that this sounds more like a driver issue. Especially since he has eliminated the RS232 adapter completely from the picture.

Chuck

Update: The RS-232 dongle is being used with : USB to RS_232 (DB9) cable. I have had good luck with a Win 7 machine and my sequences. (as of now, 100% uptime). The two downsides I am having:
I have the USB/RS-485 Dongle from LOR, using LOR included drivers. From the 4 machines that I've used this on (Win 2000, two Windows 7, and a Vista), none have worked with the USB-RS485 dongle.

NOW issue number 2:
The RS232 dongle works with my sequences. It does not work with my 'Hardware Utility'. (I can not change board ID's with my hardware utility). I'm using 8 known working LOR boards.

Guest wbottomley

oxnard wrote:

Update: The RS-232 dongle is being used with : USB to RS_232 (DB9) cable. I have had good luck with a Win 7 machine and my sequences. (as of now, 100% uptime). The two downsides I am having:
I have the USB/RS-485 Dongle from LOR, using LOR included drivers. From the 4 machines that I've used this on (Win 2000, two Windows 7, and a Vista), none have worked with the USB-RS485 dongle.

NOW issue number 2:
The RS232 dongle works with my sequences. It does not work with my 'Hardware Utility'. (I can not change board ID's with my hardware utility). I'm using 8 known working LOR boards.

I can't get a handle on what you're saying. I feel like a seagull in a hurricane.

Read the manual on installing LOR drivers with LOR dongles. After you go through every step, let us know what the results are.

Hi Chuck,
I know that USB would go to a RS-232, but was not aware that LOR would be interested in those. So, have to admit that this did not cross my mind. And with the LOR controllers all using RS-485, I could not phantom the use of a USB to RS-232 converter. Thanks for pointing out that LOR does sell a USB to RS-232 converter.

To the Op, I am sorry. Seems that I was mistaken.

Hi Chuck,
I know that USB would go to a RS-232, but was not aware that LOR would be interested in those. So, have to admit that this did not cross my mind. And with the LOR controllers all using RS-485, I could not phantom the use of a USB to RS-232 converter. Thanks for pointing out that LOR does sell a USB to RS-232 converter.

To the Op, I am sorry. Seems that I was mistaken.