Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR and sub-sequencing

drivemewilder

Steven wrote:

JBullard wrote:
BrandonH wrote:
If you have a usb splitter, that should work also. It has been said that a usb splitter that requires an electrical plug in to power it will work better, but I think Steven may be able to awnser that side of the question better than I can.

Do not use a USB splitter. Use a powered USB HUB

I have not heard the term "USB splitter" before.  I suspect it's slang for "non-powered USB hub".

A non-powered USB hub gets all its power from the computer.  This source of power is limited, and may not be enough to power 4 USB-485B adapters.  On the other hand, cell phones are commonly charged from the USB ports on computers, so if you're using the USB-485 (not the 'B' model), I would think it would be enough.

The USB-485B takes power from the computer (or powered USB hub), boosts it from 5 volts to 9 or 10 volts, and sends that power down the LOR network to power accessories such as the ELL.  That draws much more power than, for example, a USB flash drive or a mouse.

Hey Steve,

Sorry for jumping in, but my display for 2012 is going to be much more complicated than previously. I'm getting 9 CCRs, 5 for the lower roof, 4 for the top roof. I'll have about 6-12 strobe lights, and RGB LED ropes. As far as the networks go, LoR's Dan told me up to 6 CCRs per USB aka network, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to output from my computer....I'll get a powered USB Hub, but do which LoR dongle should I get and how many to 'play it safe' ?

DLTSLC wrote:

but do which LoR dongle should I get and how many to 'play it safe' ?

If you're not using an ELL, then the USB-485B has no advantages over the USB-485.

On the other hand, if your controllers are mounted where you are concerned about water intrusion and possible application of 120v through the network into your USB port, then a USB-485B-ISO may be desired for that network.

So I would get 2 additional USB-485's: One for the lower roof 5; and one for the top roof 4. I would put the other non-CCR controllers on a third network.

Steven wrote:

DLTSLC wrote:
but do which LoR dongle should I get and how many to 'play it safe' ?

If you're not using an ELL, then the USB-485B has no advantages over the USB-485.

On the other hand, if your controllers are mounted where you are concerned about water intrusion and possible application of 120v through the network into your USB port, then a USB-485B-ISO may be desired for that network.

So I would get 2 additional USB-485's:  One for the lower roof 5; and one for the top roof 4.  I would put the other non-CCR controllers on a third network.

I'm not planning on using an ELL, but after I spoke with LoR the other day about a big order, I was told to 'hold off' because they are redoing their Showtime Director to be able to handle a lot more. It's going to be upgraded and able to handle more communication traffic than its predecessor. If that's the case, I can load my show onto the card and not run any lines out of my house.

I'm wondering if I really need to invest in all these network lines between my computer and the first controller if I can just use this new thinga-ma-jiggy. I'd probably still get one RJ45 for hardware testing, etc.

Do you agree, or am I missing something ?

• The topic was locked