Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485B Install Problem

fireman5214

Hello all I have LOR version 1.6.9 Showtime Software Suite and i have USB485B Drivers Ver 2.0 Hardware Utility for RF-V4 & MP3 Ver 1.6.4 . I have this both working on my old laptop Dell CPX Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 and I tried downloading it on my Dell Inspiron with windows 7.

Everytime I keep going to load the drivers, it tells me that light or rama is not installed. I jsut installed that today and since restarted the computer and i can create sequences already so I do know for a fact that LOR is installed and operating correctly. My question is that, does this not work on Windows 7 or do I need to play with the compatibility. I get a compatability to come up to repair detected problems and I have went through the steps/test and it has not worked yet either.

Thanks for any help.

ainsworth wrote:

You may have the wrong usb484 driver. FTDI lists 2.08.14 for windows 7.

You may find this helpful although it doesn't address W7 specifically.

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum80/21183.html

yeah well i got the driver with the software wheni bought it in 2008 but then i was running windows xp on the older laptop. Thanks for the link though. Ill try that.

Windows 7 should automatically find a suitable driver for the RS485 adaptors - mine did. I am not sure how well version 1.6.9 will work on Windows 7 - this version has been obsolete for a while. As you have an authentic version of v1.6.9, you should be able to upgrade it to the top version of v2 - advanced version (we are on v2.9.4 at the moment). You will need to retrieve your software licence reference, which you can also do on line when you download v2.9.4. It would be worth doing this sooner rather than later, as I am not sure of the arrangements once v3 appears on the scene. If I remember rightly, the licence retrieval takes you through the "shop", but with a zero cost item. You will need access to the email address you originally used for the purchase, or you will need to drop lor an email. Again, details should be on the "software download" web page.

Regards,

Alan.

alan thanks but I thought V2 screwed up sequences and stuff with V1. If i remember reading something like that on Planet Christmas forums. I thought it was something where people had to Re-Sequence everything and I was looking to update to the v3 when it came out and just skip over the 2. I am not sure what the problem is either. I know for some games I have had for only 95/98 I had to put in a code to get them to work on Windows XP so I am going to send LOR an email anyway.

No, LOR S2 didn't screw up any LOR 1 sequences. LOR S2 will convert S1 sequences to the S2 format, but once converted, they could not be used with S1 anymore.

I know S3 will correctly work with S2 sequences, but I do not know if S3 will convert an old S1 sequence.

The S2 upgrade is free and offers so many more capabilites then S1 ever thought about. And S3 is even more amazing then S2.

My advice is go ahead and get S2.

There is a difference in how S2 interacts with windows media player, that occasionally causes offsets between the music and the sequence.

The added a setting called skew, that allows you to add an offset to correct this. So if you do have a media file that starts out of sync, you can just play with the skew value until it is back in sync.

Also, newer driver CD for USB drivers try to install the S2 hardware utility. Since you only have S1, it is not finding the S2 hardware utility to upgrade.

You can just install the bare USB drivers from ftdichip, and not worry about rest of it. But I would still probably try S2 on a different PC, and see if you have skew issues, and how easily they are resolved.