Light-O-Rama Forums

Power for the transmitting ell?

Victory402

I read in the ell manual the you need 2 controllers for the transmitting ell and only 1 contoller for the recieving ones. My problem is I only have 1 avaiable controller for the transmiting ell. I'm guessing the reason you need 2 controllers for the transmitter is because more power is needed to transmit than recieve?

[align=left]"2. Any two LOR controllers can power the RFV4 as a transmitter." (quote from manual)[/align]

[align=left]Is there away to transmit using just 1 controller (cmb16d)?[/align]

[align=left]Thanks,[/align]

[align=left]Vic[/align]

[align=left] [/align]

It also states you can power the transmitter with a single CTB16DV3 or later.

In testing mine, I was using both one controller with the ELL next in line, and direct from an RS485B (emphasis on the :P. Both configs worked fine.

The caution re the CMB-16D is, supply voltage for channels 1-8..reference the manual, page 10. You'll also note it refers to powering accessories, including wireless.

John Bullard is the expert on ELLs, will defer to him for the final word, but one of my test configs was CMB-16D with a 12V supply, next/only item down the line was the ELL transmitter, and the ELL worked fine.

As long as you are taking care of the CMB-16D supply considerations, I think you'll be OK.

Add ServoDog to the list that will drive an ELL for transmit both per use for a trigger, and feedback from Dan when I asked here last year. Still no help on the CMB16.

Excellent idea.

Here is the response:

I have never used more then one controller for my Transmitting ELL.

The LOR USB485B (with booster) will also power the transmitting ELL. The simple LOR Dongle will not power an ELL

I also use the Mini-Director for all my shows. The MP3 Director will power a transmitting ELL just fine.

and, the link to the entire thread:

http://www.christmascarolina.com/forums/showthread.php/2053-Powering-the-LOR-transmitting-ELL?p=15154#post15154

One of the quirks I dealt with last Halloween was it was very flaky with an 8-chnl LOR, I had the USB485B plugged into the 16-ch, then to an 8-ch and into the ELL. Had very haphazard symptoms. Drove me NUTZ. Reconfig that the 16-ch powered the ELL and all was better. Other than that, worked great for me.

• 2 weeks later...

"Is there away to transmit using just 1 controller (cmb16d)?"

In response to my original question...YES you can. I recieved my Ell's yesterday in the mail (that was fast) and they worked fine using just one controller to power the transmitter. It may be because my 12v leds draw so little power, but it does work fine.