Light-O-Rama Forums

1st post, 1st year....gulp im forum shy so be nice! :)

ToddH

Ok so I got the usb from LOR yesterday and hooked it up, the wife was standing by with a 2x4 in-case i got arched :) well that didn't happen but she hit me anyway! lol

Anyway after over 20 years of not soldering I did a great job I must say, house is not burnt down, and everything in the controller worked like a charm. Now that that's out of the way I have 2 weeks for my (personal deadline to have shows starting on Oct 14th) to work on sequences. I already have 4 songs pretty locked down, (thanks to all of you who helped, between pms, sending me your seq so i can gather ideas, etc). And this weekend a member on the boards whom I never met was kind enough to invite me to his house this weekend (he lives 45min from me) to help me out and show me some things and even help start some seq.

Now the big question on my mind....do I [Foul Language Used] the wife off and get one more controller to build so that I have 32 channels or hold off till next year?

I already built my big main frame for the singing face and built a smaller one, however with only 16 channels will only use one otherwise the other displays will not be involved... I have built a few tombstones from Foam, engraved and painted them. Made some paper mac-he skulls, going to try my hand at some pvc flame flicker candles, have to still make the extension cords, some strands of strobes, also made my own chiller box to attach to my fog machine...and did all this within the past 2 weeks. So yes, been very busy :)

So again, question.....should i get another controller or hold off? Or if someone has one they want to lend me :) that would be great!

thanks again all, you been outstanding in assisting!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ToddH

• sjmiller

• Jim Saul

• caniac

ToddH wrote:

Ok so I got the usb from LOR yesterday and hooked it up, the wife was standing by with a 2x4 in-case i got arched :) well that didn't happen but she hit me anyway! lol

Anyway after over 20 years of not soldering I did a great job I must say, house is not burnt down, and everything in the controller worked like a charm. Now that that's out of the way I have 2 weeks for my (personal deadline to have shows starting on Oct 14th) to work on sequences. I already have 4 songs pretty locked down, (thanks to all of you who helped, between pms, sending me your seq so i can gather ideas, etc). And this weekend a member on the boards whom I never met was kind enough to invite me to his house this weekend (he lives 45min from me) to help me out and show me some things and even help start some seq.

Now the big question on my mind....do I [Foul Language Used] the wife off and get one more controller to build so that I have 32 channels or hold off till next year?

I already built my big main frame for the singing face and built a smaller one, however with only 16 channels will only use one otherwise the other displays will not be involved... I have built a few tombstones from Foam, engraved and painted them. Made some paper mac-he skulls, going to try my hand at some pvc flame flicker candles, have to still make the extension cords, some strands of strobes, also made my own chiller box to attach to my fog machine...and did all this within the past 2 weeks. So yes, been very busy :)

So again, question.....should i get another controller or hold off? Or if someone has one they want to lend me :) that would be great!

thanks again all, you been outstanding in assisting!!

You will want more channels, however another thing to consider is that you still have a lot of sequencing to do. Plus are you planning to do Christmas? Even more sequencing. The more channels you have, the more channels you have to sequence. I would make sure you know what you are jumping into sequencing-wise before making the decision to buy more. You want to make sure you focus on quality not quantity. If this had been 1-2 months ago, I would have said to definitely go with 32ch to start. Either way, it will probably be the coolest thing you have ever seen in your yard, and that most of your visitors have ever seen.

Man up! Get another controller and do like I do.......... explain that they come in a PAIR...or be there when UPS delivers and hide it until it's time to use it. Or go to a yard sale and plant it there, (you may have to bribe the sale host) then go back later with your wife and casually ask , "do you have any holiday lighting stuff?" and of course they do for only $5. (don’t ask "do you have any LOL controllers?" too obvious) Bottom line is You have to be creative....LOL

Neogenco wrote:

...or be there when UPS delivers and hide it until it's time to use it. ....LOL

Or have it delivered to work like I did. :)

She's probably already mad at you for something else that you don't know you did....so go ahead and get all the mad at once: order another controller!

In my humble opinion, if the controller is on sale order it as a spare for this year. According to your schedule - there are only 2 weeks for "everything" - adding 16 channels to multiple musical sequences is a big deal.

It all depends on how much time you have available.

HeHe - Welcome to the addiction, my first year - I planned on 16 channels, ended up with 48. Four years later I'm using 48 for Halloween, and 160 for Christmas....

Steve

sjmiller wrote:

In my humble opinion, if the controller is on sale order it as a spare for this year. According to your schedule - there are only 2 weeks for "everything" - adding 16 channels to multiple musical sequences is a big deal.

It all depends on how much time you have available.

HeHe - Welcome to the addiction, my first year - I planned on 16 channels, ended up with 48. Four years later I'm using 48 for Halloween, and 160 for Christmas....

Steve
hmm, I like this idea. She should buy into the idea of having a spare, if something went wrong your show would be DOA without a "backup".